CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1215652
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:52:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Coningsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 22235 58039

Details

TF 2258-2358 CONINGSBY HIGH STREET (south side)

11/5 Church of 14.9.66 St. Michael

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1870 by T. C. Hine. Limestone ashlar, squared and coursed limestone and greenstone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Open western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel with facetted sanctuary, south porch. C14 ashlar 3 stage tower with moulded plinth, angle buttreeses, embattled parapet to C15 belfry stage with gargoyles. Belfry stage has triple cusped louvred lights with panelled tracery with deeply moulded surrounds, in the 4 directions. In the west wall a large circular unglazed sexlobe traceried light with moulded surround. To the middle stage 2 small ogee headed lights. In the side walls of the tower are tall moulded pointed arched openings, presumably a processional route. In the middle stage 2 further ogee headed lights. The tower has a ribbed vault to circular bell opening. In the west wall of the nave is a blocked tower doorway now contaning a smaller C14 door with moulded surround and a contemporary circular window with 8 cusped lobes. The greenstone north aisle has 2 and 3 light C14 reticulated windows. The north door is contemporary with moulded head dying to the reveals. Unusual apparently C19 clerestory of 10 arched lights with rounded cills, arranged in pairs. C19 rockfaced limestone ashlar chancel in mid C13 style. East wall of tower, painted clock face with single hand, the largest such in the country. C15 south aisle in coursed limestone rubble with plain parapet with 3 broad 3 light windows and one narrower, with matching window in east wall, all having cusped heads, panel tracery and cambered arches. 2 storey, C15 south porch with continuously moulded pointed outer door with above a 3 light window to the parvise and plain parapet. Side benches. Side lights to upper stage. Inner doorway matches outer. Interior. 5 bay C13 nave arcades having double chamfered arches, hood moulds with human head stops, one a woman with mouthstrap, octagonal piers, responds and capitals, some with stiff leaf carving. Blocked tower arch, double chamfered, containing circular window, stained glass of 1871. C14 nave roof of 10 bays with king post roof, arch braced struts, through and collar purlins. C14 chancel arch with moulded pointed head, with triple responds, annular and octagonal imposts. In the north aisle a 2 light C19 opening with marble central shaft and cinquefoil over. In the south aisle a small C14 planked door with contemporary closing ring and handle. On the south side of the chancel the lower and upper doorways to the rood loft survive. The C19 chancel has a pointed organ loft opening on the north side with marble shafts on corbels. The sanctuary windows have shafted reveals and the roof over has radiating rafters. In the south wall an ogee headed piscina. Fittings. The C19 chancel screen incorporates part of the base of the medieval screen. C18 octagonal panelled pulpit on moulded stand. C18 dado panelling. C14 octagonal font with waterholding moulded base and panelled sides. 2 charity boards in the aisles. Monuments. Marble wall plaque in chancel, in Greek taste to Mary and John Burnham, d.1841.

Listing NGR: TF2223458041

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400401
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03313/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].