CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1214985
Date first listed:
13-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214985.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:34:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Leckhampstead
National Grid Reference:
SP 72640 37918

Details

SP 73 NW LECKHAMPSTEAD CHURCH END

3/50 Church of St. Mary

13/7/66

GV I

Parish church. Norman nave, Transitional N. aisle, C13 W. tower, Decorated chancel. Restored 1872 by G.E. Street. Rubble stone, tiled roofs to nave, chancel and tower, slate to N. aisle and vestry. W. tower of three stages with angled buttresses to lower stage, double lancets to bell-chamber and battlemented parapet. W. side has Early English doorway of two orders, restored C19, re-set Norman window with scalloped outer moulding and carved caps above, and corner gargoyles. S. wall of nave has two C19 triple lancets, porch dated W.G. 1688 and Norman S. door with round rolled arch on patterned columns with carved winged figures to caps. Lintel has diaper pattern, tympanum has re-used panel of two fighting beasts. N. aisle has C19 grouped lancets and C12 doorway, much restored C19, with roll mouldings, zig-zag ornament and three carved heads to arch, and carved caps. Chancel has 3-light reticulated E. window, 3-light Perpendicular window and 2-light Decorated window with flowing tracery to S., vestry to N. Interior: arch to W. tower pointed and triple chamfered. Nave of four bays. North arcade has Transitional pointed arches with scalloped outer mouldings and carved heads. Square piers with stop chamfered corners, two with original painted frieze decoration and lettering. Chancel has round chamfered arches to piscina and sedilia. Fittings: C12 font re-cut C14 to octagonal shape with carved side panels, some figured, some with foliage; C16 cover. C19 roof, glass and other fittings including carved stone reredos with glazed narrative panels. Monuments: stone tomb chest with recumbent effigy of knight in W. arch of arcade; brass in N. aisle to Reginald Tylney and three daughters 1506, brass of early C16 female figure on S. wall; simple wall tablet to Sir Anthoni Grenowaye 1619 in chancel.

RCHM II pp 165-7



Listing NGR: SP7263837918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399994
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04012/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Newton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].