CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1214903
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214903.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:56:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Belton-in-Rutland
National Grid Reference:
SK 81632 01349

Details

SK 80 SW BELTON IN RUTLAND CHURCH STREET(north side)

3/8 Church of St. Peter

10.11.55

GV II*

Medieval parish, church, externally largely of C14, resotred in C19. West tower, nave with clerestory and S. aisle, chancel. West ower is ashlar, and of 3 stages with embattled parapet above a quatrefoil frieze. Tall traceried lights to bell chamber. Decorated west window with hoodmould, West bay of S. aisle is a C16 reconstruction in ashlar, but a fragment of the original masonry abuts the tower. S. porch of C.14, ashlar, with parapet and huge gargoyles. Sundial over the archway, and within a C14. S. doorway with corbel heads and finely moulded shaft and arch. Aisle is of coursed squared rubble with renewed Decorated windows with stilted arches. Chancel has priests door on S. side, with square headed hoodmould that is a continuation of the string course. East window of 4-lights, in decorated style, though a Victorian restoration. N. Wall of nave has a single C13 lancet but all other windows are Victorian restorations in Decorated style. The masonry here is banded rubble.

Inside, nave of 4 bays, and an early C13 arcade, with double chamfered round arches on low octagonal shafts, with plain capitals; 2 have large grotesque corbel heads carrying the outer chamfer.Easternmost respond has stiff leaf. Victorian roof and clerestory lights. Tower arch of banded black and white nasonry. Blocked N. door. Victorian chancel screen, and heavily restored chancel with good glass of 1898, and an incised stone slab depicting a man, his wife and their children, 1559. 2 alabaster shields in wall above. Ornately painted and gilded organ.

Various C18 wall monuments in nave and aisle, and in particular, a large memorial to Rowland Roberts and his wife, d. 1762, with inscriptions contained beneath a scrolly broken pediment and sheild of arms. Font is C13: round bowl on round stem, formerly with shafts. The bowl has incised arches decorated with dogtooth carving.

Listing NGR: SK8163101353

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399887
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08286/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].