CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1214559
Date first listed:
14-May-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE TOWN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214559.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:41:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE TOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Staughton
National Grid Reference:
TL 12401 64686

Details

TL 1264 GREAT STAUGHTON THE TOWN 10/18 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 14.5.59

I

Parish church. Late C13 chancel and part of north and south arcades, C14 north and south aisles and south porch. Early C16 west tower, north vestry and north chapel. The church is noteworthy for the monuments in the chancel and south aisle. Rubble and pebblestone with Welson and Ketton stone ashlar to tower. Early C16 west tower, embattled with crocketed pinnacles at corners and moulded main cornice with gargoyles. Of 3 stages and bell stage with 4 stage angle buttressing and newel staircase in south-west corner. Early C16 frieze with cusped panelling below main cornice and above double splayed plinth. Early C16 fenestration, door and bell chamber openings. Nave, plain tiled with embattled parapet. Each side of clerestorey with 5 C15 windows (restored). C14 north and south aisles. C14 fenestration in south aisle, C15 in north aisle. C14 south porch with C19 slate roof. Originally with sundial to gable end. Inner archway 2-centred and of 2 moulded orders, each carried on attached shafts with foliate capitals. C16 door of nail studded battens and ornamental lock plate. C13 chancel with original south doorway and one lancet window in north wall. Two C14 windows in south wall, one to east with low side. C15 east window of 5 cinque- foil lights. North vestry dated 1526 and inscribed E NEL on parapet. North chapel, also early C16. Embattled parapet and moulded string. Two early C16 cinquefoil light windows. Interior. North and south arcades of 5 bays. Probably of late C13 origin but rebuilt in C15. Two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on round columns with moulded capitals and bases. C19 nave roof on C15 corbels. Early C16 north chapel. Vaulted and panelled recess in north wall. C15 chancel arch. Two-centred and of 2 chamfered orders, inner carried on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Communion rail, late C17. Turned and twisted balusters with moulded rail. C13 font, octagonal bowl on modern stem. Screen between tower arch and nave. Dated 1539 and inscribed to Oliver Leder and Frances, his wife. Monuments. In chancel, north wall, Early Cl7 and of coloured freestone. Two bays divided by Corinthian columns with entablature. Sir James Deyer 1580, Margaret, his wife 1560; and Sir Richard Deyer 1605 and Marie his wife, 1601 erected by Sir William Deyer. On south wall. Late C17 white marble cartouche to Christopher and Mar , infant children of John Conyers. White marble panel to Sarah, wife of John Spencer and Sarah, their daughter, 1632. In north chapel. Black marble and alabaster altar tomb to Sir James Beverley, 1670. South aisle, south wall. Large wall monument of partly painted freestone to Sir George Wanton, 1606, erected by Sir Oliver Cromwell. RCHM (Bunts) mon (1), p 248. VCH (Hunts) Vol II, p 354. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p 255.

Listing NGR: TL1240164686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399412
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 248
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 354
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 255

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02697/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman D Chappell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].