This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1212987

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newton Blossomville

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 95 SW NEWTON BLOSSOMVILLE HIGH STREET north side

2/93 Church of St. Nicholas

17.11.66

II*

Parish Church. C12 - C15. Restored 1862 Stone, flat roof with battlemented parapets to tower and nave, old tile roof to chancel and S. porch. C14 Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret on S. side with battlemented parapet. S. wall of nave has Norman window over S. door, C13 lancet at W. end and large C13 window with intersecting tracery at E. end. N. aisle with C14 nave arcade of 2 bays. Chancel is C13 and C14 with C14 arcade of 2 bays between it and the N. chapel, piers with clustered shaft. Both chancel and chapel have C14 piscinal. Tall tower arch, stone vaulting below bell chamber. Fittings: C15 front with traceried panelling. C17 pulpit. Monument: in N. chapel by Andrews of Olney;pilasters flanking a panel and supporting cornice broken forward over pilasters, urn finials, and curved pyramidal head with arms. Below is a semi-circular apron with bracket at floor formed of a cherub's head. RCHM II p 211 MON 1

Listing NGR: SP9257651581

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 92576 51581

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:21:31.

End of official listing