CHURCH OF ST IDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1212700
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IDA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212700.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 04:44:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IDA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Issey
National Grid Reference:
SW 92858 71818

Details

ST ISSEY ST ISSEY SW 97 SW 4/229 Church of St Ida

GV II

Parish Church, dedicated to St Ida. Circa C14 and C15 arcades although the church was largely rebuilt in 1870-71 by J.P. St Aubyn. Stone rubble. Slate roofs; nave and chancel in one with lean-to roofs to north and south aisles. Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower and north and south aisles. Circa C14 3-bay arcade to north aisle and circa C15 5-bay arcade to south aisle. In 1869 the west tower collapsed with part of the nave and in 1870-71 the tower was rebuilt and the church restored. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and corner turrets. Stair turret on north face. Reset circa C15 Catacleuse stone arch to west door with C19 Perpendicular west window and a reset circa C15 belfry lights. North and south aisles have C19 tracery and the south porch was rebuilt in the C19 with the arch to the south entrance reset. Interior: C19 arch braced roof to nave and chancel with lean-to roofs to aisles. The chancel roof is ornately stencilled. Circa C14 3-bay north arcade, the piers comprising a cluster of 4 shafts with 4 demi-shafts. Circa C15 5-bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers. C19 furnishings. Font; granite round bowl supported on central shaft with 4 renewed attached columns at corners and square base. The church contains a fine circa late C14 carved Catacleuse stone panel reused as a reredos and a circa late C14 carved Pieta at the east end of the south aisle. Both of these carved pieces may originally have been part of a monument or tomb. Also fine carved bowl to Holy water stoup. The stencilled decoration of the chancel is also of particularly fine quality and is signed 'Whatley, Frome, Somerset. 1882' and 'Fred James, Frome, Somerset. 1882; Restored in the 1980s. The stencilling covers the walls, organ and roof and has been directly applied to the granite piers of the east end of the south arcade. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9285871818

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397179
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11819/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Julie C Ayres. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].