CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1211555
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:48:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Corscombe
National Grid Reference:
ST 51673 01540

Details

CORSCOMBE TOLLER WHELME ST 50 SW 5/226 CHURCH OF ST JOHN GV II

Church. 1869-71 by Warr. Paid for by the Pope family of Toller Whelme. South-West Tower-porch. Nave. Chancel. Rubble-stone walls, with a chamfered stone plinth. Slate roofs with stone gable-copings. 2 gable- crosses, at nave and chancel. Tower, with stone quoins, of 2 stages with string, cornice and crenellated parapet. South doorway: pointed arch with a continuous moulding. Label over with foliage-stops. 2-leaf wooden door. Cusped lancet to ground, and lancet to upper level. Nave: 2 windows with trefoil-cusped lancet and quirked straight-chamfered jambs. Chancel: East window with 3 main trefoil-cusped lights, with quatrefoil tracery in the head. Labels with square stops. Interior: aisleless nave with single rafter roof, with plank ceiling. Wooden quatrefoil wall- plate. Chancel-arch with 2 bracket mouldings and a sunk quadrant between. Pyramidal bases. Small north vestry with a pointed doorhead. Fittings: Font: small octagonal stone bowl and stem with sunk quatrefoils in each face. Panelled stem. Metal bowl inside. Small metal canopy with cross over. Pulpit: wooden with chamfered corners, 4 wooden steps up and handrails. Lancet panels. Stained Glass: East window, Crucifixion, 1868, inscription. Brass plate below window refers to building of the church. Source: N Pevsner, Dorset, p426.

Listing NGR: ST5167301540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
395899
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 426

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00014/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Venton-Prentice. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].