CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1201040
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WEST STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201040.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:33:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashburton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 75526 69760

Details

ASHBURTON

SX7569 WEST STREET 849-1/10/210 (South side) 07/08/51 Church of St Andrew

GV I

Parish church. Early or mid C15 (tower before 1449); restored by G E Street 1882-3. Stone rubble with granite dressings; windows in limestone, possibly Bath stone. Slated roof. Chancel, N and S chancel chapels, N and S transepts, nave, four bay N and S aisles, N porch, W tower. Vestry E of chancel; lobby and choristers' room to S. Perpendicular traceried windows, much restored in C19. Setback buttresses. Battlemented parapets. 5 sided stair turret at W end of each aisle. Doorway to porch has pointed, double-chamfered arch springing from rounded half-columns. West tower (the finest feature) about 21 m high, rises in 3 stages with setback buttresses diminishing in thickness at each stage. 5 sided stair turret on N face. Heavily moulded W door (restored) with 3 much restored niches above containing C19 figures. Battlemented parapets with pinnacles. Vestry has 2-light C19 E window surrounded by late C18 and early C19 memorials to the Winsor family. Interior: chancel and nave have arcades of octagonal granite columns supporting double-chamfered pointed granite arches; columns have hollowed faces to the shafts, moulded limestone (Beer stone?) capitals. Trefoil-headed piscinas in chancel chapels and transepts. Wagon roofs over chancel, nave, and transepts. Cambered aisle and chancel-chapel roofs with intersecting beams and carved bosses; beams moulded on S side, carved on N side. One of the bosses is said to carry the letter L for Bishop Lacey (1420-56). Two fine C18 brass candelabras in nave. Oak reredos 1928 by Herbert Read. Chancel screen 1884. Pulpit by Harry Hems of Exeter, late C19 or early C20. Marble font, 1840. In N transept a painting of the crucifixion by Legassick, a Devon artist; part of former reredos. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: 131-2).

Listing NGR: SX7552769759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376188
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 131-132

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12250/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].