CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1198311
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHENEY MANOR ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHENEY MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 14031 86726

Details

CHENEY MANOR ROAD, SU 18 NW SWINDON Rodbourne Cheney 1/26 Church of St. Mary 2.10.51 II

Anglican parish church. C13, C19 and C20. 1848 rebuilt by S. Sage of Swindon. Rubble Swindon stone with limestone dressings. Stone slate roof with concrete slates on inner pitch. Medieval nave with parallel north nave of 1848. West tower and south porch. Chancel with medieval south chapel and C20 north extension. Original form with central tower and south aisle, incorporated in widened nave in 1848. 3-light nave windows in 4-centred heads and casement mouldings. 3-light square headed windows to chancel chapel, and triple lancets of C13 to east end. North side 4 Perpendicular style windows. Tower with 4 light west window over deeply moulded door, all C19. Louvred bellstage openings, crenellated parapet and pinnacles. South porch has door with C13 nail-headed nookshafts carrying low pointed segmental arch with 2 hollow chamfers. Trefoiled side lights and niche over door. North chancel extension with glazed concrete honeycomb blocks by Burrough and Hannam. Interior: Probably south arcade removed C19 and nave and south aisle roofed as one. Open waggon roof with carved bosses. North nave with 4-bay arcade of octagonal columns and chamfer arches independently roofed in similar style without bosses. Raked west gallery in exposed concrete with honeycomb concrete balustrade. North chancel chapel with tapered lintel on concrete column, and concrete joists to flat ceiling. Shouldered door and 2-light east window reset. Simple double piscina. C19 pulpit and font. Heads of south nave windows have fragments of C14-C15 glass. Timber vault to tower. Monuments: Nave, west wall ARTHUR EVANS, 1762, oval grey and white marble plaque. South wall: SIMON WAYTE, 1807, by Reeves of Bath, marble tablet with draped urn over. Chancel: WILLIAM HOLCROFT, 1621, marbled limestone aedicule with arms and crest over. REV. ARTHUR EVANS, 1789, by King of Bath; marble draped weeping figure leaning on urn. KATHERINE EVANS, 1810, by King of Bath, marble with Latin inscription. South chapel: family of NATANIEL AND ANN EDWARDS, 1802-4, marble, oval wreath on slate. Externally on tower, north face; probable window-head, C9-10; simple tree form, and on west wall of north nave; section of simple interlaced cross shaft. (Plan of church in Society of Antiquaries library).

Listing NGR: SU1403186726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318686
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04106/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Robert Slade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].