This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1196998

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, WATLING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Tamworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386566

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TAMWORTH

SK20SW WATLING STREET, Wilnecote 670-1/4/138 (North side) 09/11/72 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1821 with mid C19 vestry. Brick with ashlar dressings, ashlar to south and west; graduated slate roof and tile roof to north. Gothic Revival style. 5-bay single-vessel nave and chancel with north organ loft and vestry, and slender west tower. East end has coped gable with kneelers; 3 pointed windows with splayed plaster reveals, the central window larger and with Y-tracery, datestone above inscribed: G B/ 1821; organ loft has pointed window with wooden Y-tracery frame with leaded glazing, blocked pointed entrance to right. Vestry, formerly verger's house,of 2 storeys; 2-window range: segmental-headed entrance to left end and similar blocked central entrance; segmental-headed windows with pegged wooden frames to ground floor, similar windows to 1st floor; truncated end stack. South facade has central porch, coped gable with cross, plain pointed entrance with paired doors and offset angle buttresses; Y-tracery windows in splayed reveals, the central one truncated over porch. West end has coped gable with kneelers, Y-tracery windows flanking 3-stage tower with string courses and embattled parapet, plain pointed south entrance, small pointed lights and louvred bell openings. North elevation has ashlar cornice and Y-tracery windows. INTERIOR: corbelled king and queen-post roof. Mid C19 altar rail on enriched brass posts, other chancel furnishings of 1920s and 1930s, including open traceried screen incorporating south pulpit. Some C19 and C20 stained glass. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.312).

Listing NGR: SK2260401307

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 312

National Grid Reference: SK 22604 01307

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:03:26.

End of official listing