This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1196517

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 385912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME

SJ84NE CHURCH LANE, Wolstanton 644-1/4/66 (East side) 21/10/49 Church of St Margaret

II*

Church. Mainly of 1860, but incorporating substantial ammounts of medieval building, including north tower and spire. Largely by Ward and Son, with chancel by Salvin. Sandstone rubble, coursed and squared, tiled roof with scalloped bands and ridge cresting. North tower, nave, 2 aisles, chancel. Decorated style. Squat 3-stage tower with parapet and pinnacles and recessed octagonal spire. Decorated lights with deep splays in lower stage and to bell-chamber. Inserted Victorian doorway in east wall. North vestry to chancel, and 3-light Decorated east window with fluid tracery. Small window in east wall of nave above chancel roofline. 2-light Decorated aisle windows, heavy buttresses, corbel table. Heavy south porch with angle buttresses and ball-flower decoration to moulded archway. Foliate hood mould with cresting. INTERIOR: nave arcades of 4 bays with octagonal shafts. Hammer beam roof, wood traceried chancel screen. Late C19 stained glass, and tiled floors. Series of monuments to members of Sneyd family in chancel: wall tablet to John Sneyd, 1710, pedimented with urn and flanking cherubs; Sir William and Anne Sneyd, 1571, an alabaster chest tomb with recumbant effigies and 11 children represented in high relief round the base. Re-cut stone canopy with strapwork and arms; two other tablets to Radulph and William Sneyd (1729). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).

Listing NGR: SJ8564048062

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SJ 85640 48062

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:31:12.

End of official listing