CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S GATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195365.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 21:57:05.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S GATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stafford (District Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
STAFFORD, ST MARY'S GATE (west side)
Church of St Mary
Former collegiate church. Early C13 nave and aisles; later C13 chancel and aisles; early C14 north transept; late C14 aisle roofs; C15 clerestories to nave and north transept, and crossing tower; extensively restored, and chancel south aisle, south transept and crossing rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott, 1841-4. MATERIALS: coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs with fishscale bands and cresting to chancel south aisle and south transept.
EXTERIOR: chancel has aisles under gabled roofs; deep plinth and sill courses; shafted windows with hoods with stops; coped gables with gargoyle to valley to left; C19 five-light east window with Geometrical tracery. 4-bay chancel north aisle cornice and coped parapet with gargoyles; 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery between offset buttresses and C19 four-light Early English east window. 4-bay chancel south aisle has large gabled buttresses rising above cornice and coped parapet; two C19 three-light Early English windows and two 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery, one C19; end turret with small broach spire; C19 three-light segmental-pointed east window. Tower has quatrefoils in square recesses and drip moulds with large beast stops; angle gargoyles and C19 crocketed pinnacles; octagonal top stage has paired 2-light louvred bell-openings; tracery frieze, cornice with gargoyles and panelled parapet with crocketed pinnacles, mostly C19. North transept has deep plinth and shallow gabled roof, large diagonal buttresses with short pinnacles to ends; C14 entrance of four orders with ballflower and Tudor flower, 7-light north window and 4-light west window with Decorated tracery; 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery; 3-bay clerestory with 3-light windows between Perpendicular panelling; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet. South transept has deep plinth and coped gable with cross, large offset angle buttresses; stepped triplet of lancets with narrow buttresses between lights and roundel to gable; C13 west lancet over low entrance. Nave has 5-bay clerestory with 3-light windows: details as to north transept; C13 shallow buttresses; west entrance of 3 orders, hood with stops; 4-light west window. 4-bay north aisle has three C14 three-light windows between gabled buttresses and blocked C13 entrance, missing shafts; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet; west lancet. 4-bay south aisle has similar cornice and parapet; three C14 three-light windows; gabled buttress and C19 gabled porch with gabled buttresses; entrance of 3 orders with foliate capitals, niche above with nodding ogee canopy and statue of St Mary; 2-light straight-headed side windows; inner entrance of two orders with stiff-leaf capitals.
INTERIOR: 5-bay chancel arcades on keeled quatrefoil columns; C19 arch-braced roofs; chancel south aisle has west arch with foliate capitals; restored double piscina. Crossing has rebuilt arches of three orders with transitional capitals; C19 ceiling beams with dog-tooth moulding. North transept has blind arcading with four diagonally set pinnacles to north wall; C19 roof; arch to east filled with organ. South transept has west arch with stiff-leaf capitals, three lights to wall passage above and canted inner angle to right; inner west lancet with passage between outer and inner windows. Nave has 5-bay arcades on piers with demi-shafts, with renewed Transitional capitals, C19 stenciling over arches; rich C15 roof with moulded elements and bosses; over east arch a blind arcade with two trefoil-headed lights and opening above; former roof lines visible. FITTINGS: chancel has Minton tiles; C19 stalls and rail; altar and riddel posts; tiled east wall; C19 timber sedilia; north aisle has C19 vestry partition to east and 1909 organ to west. North transept has C15 octagonal stoup. Nave has c1200 font on C19 base, quatrefoil form on plinth with lions and crouching figures, figures to re-entrant angles and inscription to rim and plinth; C19 pews with rich fleuron finials; C19 hexagonal pulpit on post, with cusped ogee panels; organ to west end of 1789-90, extended, 1909 and moved to present position, 1974. MONUMENTS: many C18 and C19 wall tablets, some floor slabs, including two iron plates to Ann Gollins, d.1791, and John Gollins, d.1805. North transept has ex-situ chest tomb to Sir Edward Aston, d.1568, and wife Joan, twisted colonnettes and figures to sides, 2 recumbent effigies, one damaged, and wall tablet with inscription and armorial bearing; large wall tablet in Gothick recess to Barbara Clifford, d.1786, and husband Thomas, d.1787, by JF More, tablet with sarcophagus above and obelisk with armorial bearing; a group of brass wall tablets to north wall. South transept has rich wall tablet to Humphrey Hodgetts, d.1730, with apron with cherubs and obelisk with armorial bearing above. North aisle has 1878 wall tablet to Izaak Walton, d.1683, in blocked entrance, with bust on ledge by RC Bett. STAINED GLASS: east window, 1844; north transept east window by CE Kempe; very good nave west window, 1850, by Gerente; north aisle west window, 1846, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; other C19 and C20 glass in north transept and south aisle.
A good example of a large parish church with important restoration/rebuilding work by Sir Gilbert Scott and many good memorials; the font is a notable example.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974, 240-3; Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade M W: A History of Stafford: London: 1979-: 242-5; Shell Guides: Henry Thorold: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: 152-3; Fisher M J M.A. Rev: A Guide to St Mary's: Stafford).
Listing NGR: SJ9213523203
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Fisher, M J, Guide to St Marys Stafford
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1979), 242-5
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 240-3
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 152-3
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing