Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193136.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:11:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Great Tew
National Grid Reference:
SP 39926 28874


GREAT TEW NEW ROAD SP3928 (East side) 12/41 Church of St. Michael and All 27/08/56 Angels GV I

Church. Late C12, C13, early C14 and C15; restored 1827 by Thomas Rickman. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; some marlstone ashlar; Welsh-slate and lead roofs. Aisled 4-bay nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. 3-bay early C14 chancel has 2-light side windows which are blocked in the west bay, reduced to a single light in the middle bay, but remain intact in the east bay; large 5-light Perpendicular east window; blocked priest's door to south. Contemporary south aisle has 3 similar Decorated 2-light windows to south, a 4-light window to east, and a 3-light window to west with restored tracery; C14 porch with entrance arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner springing from moulded corbels, has a blocked re-set C13 opening of 2 pointed arches with a central shaft, and shelters the late Romanesque south doorway, with an outer order of chevrons and detached shafts, and the inner order replaced by a C14 . double-cusped arch. North aisle retains 2 large late C13 lancets and has a 3-light early C14 traceried window plus, to extreme east, a C15 window of 2 traceried lights under a 4-centred arch; C14 north doorway has continuous mouldings. All roofs have parapets. Fine 5-window C15 clerestory has square-headed richly-cusped 2-light traceried windows in deep casement mouldings. Late C14 ashlar tower, with full-height diagonal buttresses has a 2-light west window, with early Perpendicular tracery, above a C15 doorway with continuous mouldings and Tudor flowers in the hood mould; the top stage has large transomed 2-light openings with 4-centred arches and tracery; C15 limestone crenellated parapet has a band of blind quatrefoils and corner gargoyles. Interior: chancel has a large sedilia and piscina by Rickman and a series of C15 corbels. 4-bay C13 nave arcades have round piers and moulded capitals with arches of 2 chamfered orders; C14 chancel arch has continuous mouldings; tall tower arch has 4 chamfered orders. C15 corbels below clerestory. Cusped piscinas in both aisles. Ribbed plaster ceilings with square bosses by Rickman. Fittings include oak pews with its bench ends of elaborate blind tracery, early C19 box pews, early C19 three-decker pulpit incorporating some C15 traceried panels, C16 parclose screen with linenfoid panels (now the vestry) and a C15 panelled font. Fragmentary series of early C14 wall paintings in south aisle, noted as being of outstanding quality. C15 and early C16 brasses in chancel including large canopied figures of John and Alice Wilcotes (1410). 2 early-C14 stone effigies in arched recesses in north aisle believed to be Robert de Vere and Margery Dyve, Abbess of Godstow and probably his widow. Monuments include a full-length reclining figure by Chantrey of Mary Anne Boulton (dated 1834) on a tomb chest set against a Perpendicular-style panelled recess formed in the north wall of the chancel. 8 hatchnents to members of the Tracy and Keck families (C18), and of the Stratton and Boulton families (early C19). Stained glass in tower window by Hardman, 1853; C19 window in north aisle. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.244; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.625-6).

Listing NGR: SP3992528874


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 625-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 244


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07112/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].