CHURCH OF ST MARY DE HAURA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192780
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY DE HAURA, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192780.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:54:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY DE HAURA, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Adur (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21623 05126

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/01/2013

TQ 2105 SE 7/96 8.5.50

SHOREHAM-BY-SEA CHURCH STREET (east side) Church of St Mary De Haura

GV I

Church. C1130, c1170-1230. Nave ruined during the C17 and pulled down in early C18. West tower with single (originally nave bay to west), transeptal chapels and aisled chancel (now nave and chancel). Remains of original nave, transystal chapels and first stage of tower all c.1130, rest after c.1170. Flint, cobblestone with stone dressings; Horsham slab roofs. Nave bay. West doorway reset, probably later Norman with pointed arch and beakhead decoration. C14 pointed-arched window over. Upper windows to sides with round-headed openings. Arcade openings visible, as in west sides of transepts, with round piers, built into walls. Transepts: upper window, two to each side, with round-heads and shafts. Triple arcade in south gable. Crossing tower: first stage, c.1130, with two light openings paired on each side. Shafted round-headed outer arch, with inner lights divided by central shaft. Second stage. Two taller three-light openings with pointed outer arch and round-headed main arch. Nave and chancel: 5 bays with lower aisles and 2 flying buttresses with spirelets on each side. Plain lancets in clerestory, C19 Norman windows in aisles. East end 3 shafted windows with round heads below in deep niches. Three tall lancets above, with mouldings above a band of quatrefoils. Wheel window in gable with renewed tracery, lighting space above interior vault, flanked by sunk pointed quatrefoils. Interior: east, south and north tower arches, probably c.1130, with plain arch orders and large carved capitals. West tower arch taller with similar capitals but several roll-mouldings to the arch order. Chancel and nave. Five bays with quadripartite vault. Aisle walls with round-headed blank arcading and moulded arches. North arcade. Alternately round and octagonal piers with stiff-leaf capitals. Round headed arches of two orders. South arcade of compound attached shafts. Vaulting piers supported on candle-brackets of north, reaching ground as part of arcade-piers to south. Triforium of coupled lancets and stout central shaft in 8 bays to west on north side; single openings with pointed trefoiled heads to east. North triforium of single lancet openings with drip-moulds. Simple wide lancets in clerestory. Fittings: Font c.1180. Shallow square bowl with each side decorated differently.

Listing NGR: TQ2162305126

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
297284
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15763/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].