This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1190499

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, BELLAMOUR WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272867

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLTON C.P. BELLAMOUR WAY (south side) SK 02 SW 1/21 Church of St. Mary 27.2.64

- II*

Parish church. Early C13 west tower and late C13 south chapel are incorporated in a church of 1850-2 by G.E. street. Sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with side aisles, 3-bay chancel and south chapel. West tower. Early C13. 2 stages with diagonal buttresses dying into a second stage off-set, and a C19 crenellated parapet with eight crocketed pinnacles. The first stage has a single lancet to each outer face; the belfry has paired lancets. South aisle. 1850-2 except for the late C13 west wall with lancet window. Buttresses at the bay divisions. The south windows are pointed and of 2 trefoil headed lights with Decorated tracery; scroll moulded sill string. Gabled south porch with gabled corner buttresses. Pointed outer arch of 2 wave-moulded orders and hood mould terminating in heads. Inside, a pointed doorway with roll and fillet and wave-moulded surround. South chapel. Late C13. Attached to east end of south aisle. Bay divisions marked by buttresses. The central and eastern bays are lit by single lancets; the western bay by paired lancets, and a C17 rectangular window with chamfered surround. Central pointed south door of 2 chamfered orders. East window of 3 grouped lancets with roll-moulded surrounds. North aisle. 1850-2. 2 and 3 light pointed windows with Decorated tracery. Chancel. 1850-2. 2 and 3-light north windows and 5-light east window, pointed with Decorated tracery. In the centre of the north side is a monument to the Rev. Abdeli Seaton and his wife, died 1857. Segmental, pointed recess with bail flower surround and scroll-moulded hood. Interior. 5-bay nave arcades of 1850-2 quatrefoil piers with thin shafts in the diagonals, and moulded bases and capitals supporting pointed arches. The nave arcades are in imitation of the 4-bay south chancel arcade the arches of which have 2 wave-moulded orders. The nave roof has arch-braced scissor trusses and the aisle roofs cusped arch-braced collars with tracery above the collars, the braces spring from stone corbels. Arch-braced collar roof over the chancel incorpor- ating a collar purlin. In the south chapel is a C13 piscina with pointed trefoil head and sunken spandrels, and sedilia with pointed arches and segment moulded surrounds. Corona to the south chancel aisle of 1850-2 by Street, and to the nave of 1892 by Hardman, Powell & co. Fittings. Font by Street with a cluster of squat fillet moulded cylindrical columns carrying an octagonal basin with panelled sides and ball flower ornament around the base, conical wooden font cover. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit by Street with open traceried sides and ball flower. Full set of benches and stalls by Street. 3 misericords, one with a Janus head and the others wyverns. Stained glass. The east windows of the chancel and north aisle and one of the northern chancel windows are of 1858 by William Wailes. B.o.E. pp. 106-7.

Listing NGR: SK0475620412

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 106-7

National Grid Reference: SK 04756 20412

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:54:09.

End of official listing