This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1190357



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HORTON C.P. HORTON SJ 95 NW 8/80 Church of St Michael - 1.2.67 GV II*

Parish church. C15 with C17 alterations and largely internal circa 1864 restoration by Sugden. Coursed sandstone; red tile roof to nave and chancel, with verge parapets. Flat elsewhere. Has the appearance of an homogenous perpendicular unit.. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and chancel. Tower: C15 of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses of 4 stages, raised moulded strings at plinth, bell chamber and parapet levels with central and angle gargoyles to the latter, under crenellated parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles; labelled 3-light perpendicular-pointed, panel tracery windows to bell chamber and west end, flat-headed labelled 2-light window to south; Tudor-arched west door. Aisles: C15 north and south aisles; similar, of 3 bays divided by 2-stage buttresses, and crenellated parapet on a raised string returned into eaves line of nave; flat-headed windows of 3 lights with trefoil heads to all bays (including east and west ends), excepting west bays on both sides; Tudor-arch door to north and mid-C19 gabled porch to south with stone slate roof, verge parapet and pointed entry. Chancel: 2-bay, divided by buttresses and on roll-moulded plinth; C17, 3-light round-arch windows with flat heads; east window C19 in perpendicular style by Sugden, 4 lights with panel tracery. Interior: nave of 3 bays on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. The south arcade in imitation of the C15 north; C19 pointed chancel arch in C19 style and trussed nave roof on brattished wall plate of cambered ties; diagonal queen posts and collar; moulded double purlins; C19 single hammer beam trusses to chancel roof; pent aisles of moulded ties; C19 octagonal stone pulpit, with moulded panels; C19 octagonal stone font of drum shape with coved rim. Tower screen: of 1610 in timber and flat balustraded in the manner of a contemporary staircase. Monuments: all in chancel except brass of 1885 to Arthur Chorley behind lectern. Johis Wedgewood 1589 brass with figures depicted, in moulded stone surround. Captain Johannis Wedgewood 1729; aedicular plaque (as are remainder): marble segmental pediment broken by armorial cartouche on Ionic pilasters supported by gadrooned corbels on apron, finished by scallop. John Wedgewood 1757: marble obelisk over pediment flanked by flaming urns and with semi-circular apron. John Fowler 1827 by W. Spence; marble; tripartite with smaller flanking grounds all pointed-headed and with central range of low-relief motifs from top; open bible over swathed urn on sarcophagus set on plinth flanked by flaming urns and finished by frieze bearing arms.

Listing NGR: SJ9421557377

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 94215 57377


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2018 at 07:47:26.

End of official listing