This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1188577

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brown Edge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274508

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROWN EDGE C.P. CHURCH ROAD SJ 95 SW 4/20 - Church of St Anne

GV II

Parish church. 1844 by J.C. Trubshaw, extended 1854 by Ward and Son of Hanley, under the patronage of H.H. Williamson. Rock-faced coursed stone; tiled roof; verge parapets with bellcote to west. Neo-Norman tower, nave, chancel. Nave and chancel by Trubshaw. Nave: of 4 bays divided by 2-stage buttresses and with 3 round- arch windows to each bay; corbelled eaves and string at cill level; gabled porch to west end. Chancel: very small lower chancel of one bay; east window of 3 round arches, the centre taller and all with zig-zag ornament. Tower: by Ward, Iconoclastic Romanesque, set to the north-east of the church and dominating the site; square plan; of 3 stages with set-back buttresses up to the bell chamber; grotesque- head corbels to zig-zag frieze and widely projecting gargoyles under solid spire with scalloped finish in imitation of tiles; 2 pairs of lucarnes to each face; circular stair turret to north-east finished by a cone-shaped roof; 2-light round-arch bell chamber openings, 2 to each face with columns in deeply-set reveals between lights; round-arch window to north and round-arch door to west with elaborate low-relief carving in tympanum inscribed: "VICT 1854" within arch.



Listing NGR: SJ9052254010

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 90522 54010

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:32:44.

End of official listing