CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1187031
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187031.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:02:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Spelthorne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 03056 71865

Details

CHURCH STREET 1. 5390 Staines CHURCH OF ST MARY TQ 0371 9/52 11.8.52 II* GV

2. Present buff brick church 1828, as also most of its red brick tower (see vying tablets on west and south fronts, the latter late C18 ascribing it to Inigo Jones. Architect John Burges Watson. The 5 stage tower is mostly in English bond with stone plinth, strings and modern coping and parapet; corner buttresses, each stage slightly set off, the upper one decorated; lancet windows, the belfry stage having large 2-light Y-pattern windows; clock to south. Five bay aisled nave with plinth cornice, string, crenillated parapet, dividing buttresses and tall lancet windows with paired lights, Y-pattern heads and cusping. Gabled south porch with half glazed door. Oculus in east gable. Lower one bay aisled chancel with projecting shorter bay and later apse. Grade II* for tower principally.

Listing NGR: TQ0305671865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
363238
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03095/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M.A.C. Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].