CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1186482
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:19:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Littledean
National Grid Reference:
SO 67217 13577

Details

SO 61 SE LITTLEDEAN CHURCH STREET (east side)

10/77 Church of St. Ethelbert

23.9.55

GV 1

Parish Church. C12, C14 and C15; Tower and porch thin coursed red sandstone with ashlar dressings; nave, larger squared stone, very roughly coursed, with ashlar dressings; chancel squared, coursed stone. Welsh slate roofs, stone slate to porch. 4-bay nave, west tower, north aisle of same height as nave, chancel, 2- bay north chapel, south porch. South face: tower, undivided externally, diagonally-set corner buttresses to west; plain plinth, ogee-headed single-light windows to 2 upper stages, upper with stone louvres. Plain oversailing parapet with plain gargoyle: stump of octagonal spire above. Nave, diagonally-set west buttress, square-set east: two 3-light windows with rectilinear tracery, no hoodmoulds: high up at east end a blocked doorway. Gable copings, with apex cross. Porch set slightly off centre, plain, moulded door surround, built up; projecting kneelers and cross-gablet apex and cross to gable. 2 mass-dials on south face. Projection for rood-stair with stone cap in angle between nave and chancel. Chancel two 2-light 'Y'-tracery windows with hoodmoulds: blocked priest's door between. Diagonally-set buttresses to east end, window intersecting tracery. North aisle square-set buttresses, square-headed 2-light windows with ogee-heads to lights. Interior: chancel floor same level as nave: walls plastered. Chancel arch semi-circular Norman responds, with slightly different capitals: later pointed arch above. Small, square-headed door above to right at head of rood loft stair. Octagonal pillars to 4- bay arcade with plain, chamfered bases and moulded capitals. In short return wall by tower a low square-headed opening to north aisle, set a little way up wall: possibly access to a former west gallery. Ceiling panelled, plastered barrel-vault with carved wooden bosses. Chancel ceiling panelled plastered waggon roof, carved bosses, crenellated wall-plate. North aisle: Medieval glass in head of 2 lights (also in north chapel): north half of ceiling panelled plastered waggon roof, with crenellated wall plate; other half plain plaster. North chapel has heavily-moulded cambered tie beams, with wall posts and curved braces, between cambered, plastered ceiling. Large Pyrke monument in chancel 1752, by T. Ricketts of Gloucester; 3 late C18 or early C19 wall monuments. Octagonal stone font, probably medieval, on later stem; trefoil headed blind arches to sides of bowl. Benefactions board in porch. Spire blew off 1894; south porch made into vestry mid C20. Rich collection of headstones in churchyard, not separately listed. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and Forest of Dean, 1970.)

Listing NGR: SO6721513580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
354148
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13637/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].