This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Church of St John the Baptist

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Church of St John the Baptist

List entry Number: 1184102

Location

Church of St John the Baptist, Church Road, Worcester Park, Kingston upon Thames, KT4 7RY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203087

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/04/2018

TQ 26 NW 4/12

KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES Worcester Park CHURCH ROAD (west side) Church of St John the Baptist

(Formerly listed under CHURCH ROAD, Malden)

30.5.51

II The church is of medieval origin with extensive C17 and C19 alterations and additions. The medieval church was built by Walter de Merton (ob 1277), founder of Merton College, Oxford. It comprised nave, chancel and west tower. The flint south and east walls of the chancel survive. In 1610, the nave and tower were re-built in red brick, laid in English bond. Stone dressed three light Perpendicular windows to nave. The church was restored in 1863 by T G Jackson and 1875 Jackson added a new, larger nave and chancel, reducing the original church to a south aisle and chapel. The new nave and chancel are in red brick, with tiled roofs. Good 19th century screen, pulpit, font and stained glass. Heraldic panel dated 1611 in easternmost south aisle window. Window by Webb in north aisle.

Listing NGR: TQ2110166235

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 21101 66235

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:05:01.

End of official listing