CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST FELIX

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182986
Date first listed:
10-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST FELIX, ORWELL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182986.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:40:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST FELIX, ORWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Felixstowe
National Grid Reference:
TM 29960 34438

Details

FELIXSTOWE ORWELL ROAD TM 23 SE 3/29 Church of St John the Baptist and St Felix II*

Parish church, 1894-99 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, completed 1914. Red brick, Bath stone dressings, tile roofs. South west tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel, north transept, south lady chapel. Tower. 4 stages and spire. Stepped angle buttresses, faceted stone spirelets , stone parapet, octagonal stone spire. South doorway, moulded arched entrance beneath stone gable with crocketed finials. Paired lancets at 1st stage and belfry. Clock face on south, east and west faces. Stair tower on north side. Quatrefoil lucarne openings to spire. Nave of 6 bays, articulated by buttressed brick pilaster strips, alternating with clerestory windows. Aisle lancets, singly or in groups of 2 or 3. Clerestory windows: encircled cinquefoils alternate with sexfoils in spherical triangles. Gabled south porch,stone dressed brick, brick parapet, doorway of multiple mouldings. West window. Group of 4 lancets beneath encircled sexfoil. Chancel and Lady chapel in similar style. East window 3 grouped lancets below encircled cinquefoil. Interior: Nave of 4 1/2 bays, north and south aisles. Arcades of circular drum iron piers faced with brick, brick bases and capitals, pointed moulded brick arches, the mouldings running into broach stops of stone. Brick walls, punctuated by horizontal stone and roughcast bands. 6 bay scissor braced crownpost roof. Aisle roofs queen posts with lateral braces. Baptistery at west end north aisle; stone font, hexagonal stem, 12- sided bowl. Rood screen and parclose screen, set on stone base, 1910 by Gerald Cogswell. Pointed chancel arch with half arch to each sideleading to transept and lady chapel. East window flanked by blind arched openings with blank Y tracery. Piscina and 2 sedilia with cinquefoil heads. Mosaic marble reredos framed by polychromatic mural decoration. 4 cant wagon roof. 2-bay arcade to south divides off Lady Chapel. Pulpit 1903 by Whitcombe and Cogswell. Glass mainly James Powell and Sons, London.

Listing NGR: TM2996034438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
286273
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00553/31
Rights: Copyright IoE R H MacMillan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].