CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182110
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, NORTH HINKSEY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:45:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, NORTH HINKSEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
North Hinksey
National Grid Reference:
SP 49483 05479

Details

NORTH HINKSEY NORTH HINKSEY LANE SP4905 (West side) 11/70 Church of St. Lawrence 09/02/66 (Formerly listed as St. Lawrence's Church together with churchyard cross) GV II* Church. Early C12: early C13 tower, C13-C16 fenestration: chancel arch rebuilt by John Macduff Derick in 1800's. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate roof. Chancel and nave and west tower. C15 cinquefoil-headed east window: 2-bay chancel has early C16 four-light window and C13 pointed lancet above Norman lancet to south, and restored C14 trefoil-headed lancet and blocked C16 doorway to north. 2-bay nave: north wall has Norman lancets flanking Norman doorway with voussoirs and quoining partly intact: south wall has C15 three-light cinquefoil-headed window and unusual late C13 three-light window with lozenge tracery in triangular head, which flank C17 porch with chamfered oak frame and studded door: fine C12 south door with zig-zag carving to roll-moulded arch set over columns of single order with scalloped capitals. Interior: ancient triangular niche for piscina; late C17 communion table with C20 top; early C19 Gothic-style communion rail; C16 queen-post roof of 2 tiers with downward arch bracing from central stud to tie beam, and C20 replacement of collars, purlins, windbraces and rafters. Chancel arch and flanking arches built in Norman style by John Macduff Derick: previously a more simple Norman arch and squint. Nave: studded door to rood stairs, 2 early medieval aumbries, early C19 lectern and missal; C15 octagonal font has finely-carved Decorated blind tracery; C20 organ loft and pointed-chamfered arch at west end. Monuments: floor tablets in chancel to Elizabeth Fynmore, c.1715, and William Fynmore, d.1757. Early C18 wall tablet to William Finmere has heraldic cartouche and flanking swags set over bolection-moulded fielded inscription panel. Baroque wall tablet, probably by William Bird, to William Fynmore d.1646 and his son d.1673: heraldic achievement and putti rest on oval panel with richly-carved surround. Stained glass: 1930 memorial east window. Late C19 glass in 2 chancel windows and east window of nave: reset C15 fragments in west window. The unusual late C13 triangular-headed window is similar to those at Cumnor (q.v.), Stanton, John and Theale. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.407; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.186; Bodleian Library, M.S. Top, Berks, c.57, fol.119 and Def.a.119, Nos.16 and 17; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4948305479

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249745
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 407
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 186

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05896/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].