This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1180167

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271579

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 81 SE LAPLEY C.P. WHEATON ASTON.

5/74 Church of St. Mary. - - II*

Church. 1857 by Bidlake and Lovatt, Chancel 1893 by Lynhm. Random coursed rough faced red and white sandstone with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs banded with scalloped tiles, crested ridge and verge parapets. S.W. porch, Nave, North Aisle, North West Tower, lower Transepts and Chancel in Lancet style. Two light, pointed windows generally, three light East window with flowing tracery. Interior: Four bay Nave with pointed arcade to North and pointed arch to Chancel of two bays. Scissor braced and boarded roof of heavier section in Chancel. Oak screen dated 1892; pulpit with some bas relief carving; plain font and pews. Glass in East window by Kempe. Replaces C17 Chapel of Ease of one cell without tower depicted in a watercolour over the South West door.

Listing NGR: SJ8516612554

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85166 12554

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 10:37:31.

End of official listing