CHURCH OF SAINT OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1179762
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT OSWALD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179762.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:35:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
West Hauxwell
National Grid Reference:
SE 16560 93087

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 SE 19 SE WEST HAUXWELL

8/40 Church of Saint Oswald 13.2.67 I GV Church. C11, C13. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. 4-storey tower with offset angle buttresses. Ground floor: 2 lancet windows; first and second floors 1 lancet. 2-light trefoil-headed belfry opening. Embattled parapet. West side: C19 window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with cinquefoil above; 2-light double-chamfered belfry opening. North side: belfry opening of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow chamfers. East side: belfry opening of 2 pointed lights in double-chamfered surround. Nave: 3 bays. Herringbone masonry. C19 porch with Romanesque-style doorway in front of early C12 Romanesque doorway with scallop capitals to columns, zigzag, billet, and roll mouldings to arch and trellis motif in tympanum. Small pointed window to west of porch; to east, window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil above and hoodmould; lancet window. Embattled parapet. North doorway (blocked): Cll jambs, with roll on jambs, plain capitals and imposts. Lintel appears to be a re-used Anglo-Danish cross- shaft with interlace. Chancel: 3 bays. Herringbone masonry. C19 priest's door. Trefoil-headed window, 2 lancets. 3 lancets on north side, East end: 2 offset angle buttresses, that to north with a bench mark. East window of 3 pointed lights in chamfered surround. Interior: C12 4-centred tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with rolls, cushion capitals and cabled abaci. C14 arch of 2 chamfered orders to north chapel. Piscina with trefoiled head and shelf. Octagonal font on C18 baluster shaft set on C13 column base. Pulpit with Jacobean panels. Under tower, 2 C15 bench ends with poppy-heads, pelican and griffin. Hatchment of Mary Gale d.1845. Nave: 2 gesso effigies of Sir William de Barden, d.1309, and his wife. Chancel: floor slab in sanctuary to Mark Milbanks d.1698. North wall: brass to Henry Thoresby d.1611, set in stone frame with trefoil. Large monument with long inscription in Latin to William Dalton d.1670/1, with torus of bayleaf garland around plaque, set in frame with swags of fruit and cherubs, with a broken pediment above containing a coat of arms on a cartouche. Several fine C18 wall monuments including one in chancel to Sir Charles Dalton, Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod d.1747, "grandson of John Dalton killed at Burton on Trent conducting the Queen to Oxford 1644". In the vestry, an oak parish chest.

Listing NGR: SE1656193088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321925
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10721/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].