CHURCH OF ST PETER AND HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1179499
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179499.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:48:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Wherwell
National Grid Reference:
SU 39146 40822

Details

WHERWELL CHURCH STREET

116/9/33 Church of St Peter and Holy Cross

- II*

Parish church, being a replacement of a double-aisled medieval building, which may have been part of the adjoining Benedictine Nunnery. 1856-8, by Woodyer. Nave and aisles of 4 bays, chancel, north vestry, western bell turret, and south porch. Tiled roof, continued above the aisles without a clerestory. Flint walls with stone dressings; buttresses, geometrical windows, cill banding to the chancel, plinth. Within, the north aisle at the west end has some built-in sculptured fragments, and there is an effigy of a nun on a modern base, an altar tomb of 1551 (to Sir Owen West with early Renaissance details, and a medieval corbel made from part of a Saxon cross (with interlaced carving).



Listing NGR: SU3913140918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139713
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15261/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Matthews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].