CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1179141
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179141.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2020 at 11:51:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishops Waltham
National Grid Reference:
SU 55558 17675

Details

BISHOPS WALTHAM ST. PETER'S STREET SU 55 17 9/7 Church of St. Peter 6.3.67 II*

Parish Church. Building on earlier site by Henry de Blois 1136, chancel C15 (William of Wickham), south-west tower 1584, north aisle 1637, south aisle 1652, restorations of 1849 (west end of nave), 1868, and by Sir Thomas Jackson of 1897 Walls of flint with stone dressings, also ashlar stonework (of stone quarried from the ruins of the nearby Bishops Palace), some of chequer pattern with flint, later walls of squared knapped flint. Tile roof, separate roofs to the aisles. Nave with 4-bay arcade, aisleless chancel, tower at the west end of the south aisle, a gallery to the extended nave and north aisle, south porch (1613). The elevations of Perpendicular style have stepped buttresses, diagonal at the east ends, windows of Perpendicular tracery and coupled lights in square frames. The interior has a north arcade of c1200, resting on plain circular shafts (1897) and a similar south arcade (1897) with round and octagonal columns, chancel arch (Early English) of 1897. Norman (possibly Saxon) font, unearthed 1933 and returned to the church, fine panelled pulpit of 1626 (the gift of Bishop Lancelot Andrewes) with matching C19 sounding board. Communion rail of c1600 with turned rails, main west gallery of 1733 with panelled font supported on thin cast-iron columns, a carved stone coat of arms of Thomas Longton (1493), and decorative stone fragments from the Norman church. Wall monuments include two hatchments, a Royal Coat of Arms of Charles II, small wall monuments to Thomas Ashton (a bust in a classical frame) 1629 and Ann Cruys 1624, other monu- ments to Mary Kerly 1716, Richard Biggs 1749, Jane Wright 1753, and several wall monuments in the chancel of the C18 and early C19. The church is noted for its post-reformation alterations, in a late-Perpendicular or Elizabethan Gothic style with a classical plinth moulding to the south aisle, built during the interregnum.

Listing NGR: SU5546817576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146134
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02208/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter MacLeod. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].