This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1178330

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coppenhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 91 NW DUNSTON AND COPPENHALL C.P. COPPENHALL

3/33 Church of St. Lawrence

GV II*

Parish church. Early C13, restored c.1866. Ashlar; plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with buttresses at the junction and at the east end. Early English style. Nave and chancel have lancet windows, those to south wall of nave restored c.1866; 3 lancets in east wall, the southernmost is round headed, each window head is cut from a single stone, circular window of c.1866 to gable above, the west wall has 3 graded lancets with a single pointed relieving arch over; pointed west doorway with roll and fillet moulded arch and jambs and hood mould. Timber bellcote of c.1866 above with louvred sides. Interior: Pointed chancel arch with keeled roll moulding, springing from engaged semi-circular columns with double roll moulded bases and concave capitals; the 3 western lancets are set beneath a single pointed rere-arch, nave roof has king- posts, with curved braces extending from posts to ridge piece and purlins. Fittings: Font of c.1866, moulded base, octagonal pedestal and rounded bowl; pulpit of c.1866, stone, trefoiled arch panels containing the symbols of the 4 evangelists; altar rail of c.1866, wooden, open trefoil-headed arcade. V.C.H. Vol. 5;B.0.E. P. 108.

Listing NGR: SJ9077519409

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1959)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 108

National Grid Reference: SJ 90775 19409

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:39:38.

End of official listing