CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1178017
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178017.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:54:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Sampford Arundel
National Grid Reference:
ST 10763 18889

Details

ST11NW SAMPFORD ARUNDEL CP SAMPFORD ARUNDEL VILLAGE 8/152 Church of the Holy Cross 25.1.56

GV II*

Parish church. C14 in origin, C15 tower, church largely rebuilt and tower restored 1870s. Chert stone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave, south porch, chancel and north-west vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, string course, 2-light louvred bell-openings, lancet on south face. string course, 2-light trefoil-headed west window, square single stage stair turret in north-east corner; south aisle 2-light windows flanking gabled porch, unchamfered pointed arch opening with half-glazed door, moulded arched inner doorway, C19 door; east end 2-light window, 2 lancets to south front of chancel, 3-light east window, vestry 2-light east end, entered on north side four 2-light windows to north aisle. Interior: rendered, exposed random rubble west wall of south aisle. C19 chancel arch, chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts, pointed tower arch, unchanfered; circular piers to arcades, arches chamfered in 2 orders. C19 pitch pine roofs, monopitch in aisles. The most interesting feature of the church is the moulded arched niche in north aisle wall containing rectangular depression about 110 mm deep, cusped foliated inner niche containing hands clasping a cup or heart: thought to be for a heart burial. Good white and grey marble aedicule with segmental pediment carrying coat of arms in a cartouche, framing carved draped cloth with inscription to Christopher Baker, High Sherriff of Taunton, died 1729, blank panel with guilloche terminal below. Late C19 fittings including tiled sanctuary. Pair of tablets to Col Marmaduke Williamson Browne, died 1833, and his wife laria Bellett died 1828, signed Pistell, New Road, Fitzroy Sq; his tablet with draped spears, hers with a draped urn. White marble tablet on black slate in Grecian style to Richard Baron Bellett Esq, died 1835, and signed by Sharland, Torquay. Stained glass: chancel and east window of south aisle dated 1875, window in east corner of north aisle dated 1907, 2 windows dated 1920. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1076318889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271092
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09441/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].