CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177875
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177875.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:57:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Charnwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Swithland
National Grid Reference:
SK 55494 12826

Details

SWITHLAND MAIN STREET SK 51 SE 4/87 Church of St. Leonard 1.6.66

GV II* Church of C13 and later. Granite and slate rubble stone with Swithland slate roof. W. tower of 3 stages, nave, N. porch, S. aisle with E. porch, and chancel. Lower part of tower C13, upper Perp with 2 W. clasping buttresses, small C19 W. door, original 1-light above, several slits, 4 restored 2-light bell openings and restored crocketted pinnacles and battlements. 2 storey C19 stair turret on S. side. Nave has C19 N. porch and C13 arcades originally similar but N., now blocked, was heightened later in Century. N.W. arch remains similar to S. arcade. Now blocked it leads to N. porch. Arcades of 4 bays, S. has circular piers and abaci supporting double chamfered arches. 3 bull's-eyes windows above. ½ bull's eye remains abutting first of higher N. arcade blocked arches. These similar to S. Upper part of Nave C16/17 timber framing in 4 bays. Wall pieces and curved braces from renewed stone corbels support collar and cranked tie beam trusses with lower angle struts. Curved wind braces to single purlins. Heavily restored chancel. Arch double chamfered, one dying into corbels. 2 C19 flat-headed 2-lights either side with C19 E. window of Geometric type tracery. Stained glass of 1867. Restored, partly renewed, single purlin roof with wall pieces and curved braces supporting collar beams, thence king struts. Wrought-iron alter rail. S. aisle built as Danvers Chapel in 1727. 4 bay double purlin king post tie beam truss roof with angle struts to purlins (upper from king post). Date on E. tie beam. C19 E. porch. 3 C19 S. windows of Geometric type tracery. Stained glass of 1864 (Heygate Memorial) in SSW, otherwise 2 heraldic glass lunettes, one dated 1849. 1 C18 half round window remains with W. window blocked. 6 hatchments and helmet, sword and 2 metal gauntlets. C17 and C18 slate and brass monuments and pedigree of Danvers Bulter family, including outstanding example of mid C18 to children to Sir John Danvers, 'a tour de force of the slate workers' (Pevsner). Mid C15 brass; organ originally by John Snetzler, of London, 1765, with Gothic pinnacled front; C18 white marble font; remains of possibly C17 carving in some pew backs. On N. wall C18 wall monument and 2 C19 Curvilinear type tracery windows. Triple chamfered W. arch with small round arched 1-light above and C19 stained glass in small W. window.

Listing NGR: SK5549412826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189143
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/16002/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].