CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177765
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:30:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Winsham
National Grid Reference:
ST 37463 06273

Details

WINCHAM CP CHURCH STREET (West side) ST30NE 4/90 Church of St Stephen

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13 origins, mostly C15 with C19 restoration. Local lias stone. some rubble. some squared, with areas of flint, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, crossing with tower, and long 2-bay nave, with south porch linked to separate C20 vestry; the chancel inclined southwards off axis, Chancel has plinth angled corner buttresses; east window a 3-light C19 rebuild with geometric tracery and arched square-stop label: in south wall a plain lancet with label to east. a small 2-light early Perpendicular window to west, also with arched label, and between them a mouldid pointed arched doorway with label, probably C15: to north wall a 2-light early Perpendicular window with label to east, and a simple Lancet with unstooped label to west. Central tower. in 3 stages, with octagonal-plan stair-turret, slightly higher, on south-west corner, has strings, corner gargoyles, battlemented parapets, side buttresses 2 stages high: lowest stage plain to north, but with restored 2-light C15 traceried window in deep hollowed recess on south; stage 2 has small lancet on east face: to all faces of stage 3 are 2-light C15 traceried windows in deep 4-centre-arched hollowed recesses, with clockface inserted on east side. Nave has plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses; wide 3-light C15 traceried windows of varying patterns in deep hollowed recesses under arched square-stop labels, 2 each on north and south sides: west end has a former moulded pointed-arched doorway under deep square label with headstops, and foliage-carved spandrils, now converted to a 3-light window, flanked by, two half-height buttresses, and above an almost semi-circular-arched 3-light window with Curvilinear tracery under beadstop label. South porch gabled and coped with squared block sundial, with no buttresses; plain chamfered pointed outer arch, with pair C18 panelled doors; inner doorway chamfered and almost semi-circular arched. Linked to the porch by a pitched-roof covered way is the vestry of l926/30/, in cut and squared Ham stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof between coped gables with finials, the ridge parallel with that of nave; 2-light C15 style windows in gable walls, and a 3-light flat arched window in south wall; doorway in north wall opposite porch. Interior varied. Chancel largely restored in C19, with open ribbed barrel vault roof; windows on south side have internal labels; east wall has fragments of linenfold panelling used as dado, and an 1873 reredos by Harry Hems of Exeter. Chancel and nave arches of crossing of C15, with timber screen mostly of C15; the under-tower space has a C19 timber roof. Nave has a timber rib-and-panel roof with large bosses, possibly of C15; small squint on south side of nave arch. Fittings include fine Jacobean timber panelled pulpit, with Ionic columns to corners, on a later base, with an octagonal tester having a bell-hip top with acorn finial; C15 panelled octagonal stone font; otherwise fittings Cl9. On north wall of tower a fine painted tympanum piece on boards, illuminatinq the crucifixion; of C15/Cl6, this is one of very few known with this subject, and formerly was set over the screen/rood loft. Memorials include a wall tablet in marble commemorating Robert Henley, died 1639 in east wall of chancel. Six mass dials on exterior of building. First recorded rector 1321. (Pevsner, N, Buildigns of England, South and West Somerset, l958; A Short History and Guide, The Church of St Stephen Winsham, Published by the PCC).

Listing NGR: ST3746306273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262214
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Short History and Guide to The Church of St Stephen
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15863/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].