CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1177365
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177365.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:57:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
West Hatch
National Grid Reference:
ST 28538 21018

Details

WEST HATCH CP ST22SE WEST HATCH VILLAGE

5/149 Church of St Andrew 25.2.55

GV II*

Parish church. C15-early C16, extensively restored 1861 when north aisle and probably vestry and organ bay added by Benjamin Ferrey, 1907 restored. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. Chancel, north east vestry and organ bay, 4-bay nave and north aisle, south porch, west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower, set back buttresses with crocketed pinnacles above and angle pinnacles on battlements, lions masks at corners of string course, coat of arms above, 2-light bell-openings with pierced tracery, tiny 2-light window with tracery much eroded and probably reset above string course, 3-light west window, ogee headed moulded doorway, C19 door, north east stair turret with doorway; set back buttresses to nave, 2-light window left of gabled single storey porch, semi-circular headed hollow chamfer doorway, open collar beam roof, moulded pointed arch inner doorway, C19 door; 3-light window right, buttresses, C19 priest's door, 2-light east window to vestry, octagonal chimney stack, doorway on north front, 2-light window right to organ bay, rose window east end of north aisle, set back buttress to north aisle, 3-light and two 2-light windows. Interior: rendered, squared and carved blue lias exposed in tower. Perpendicular chancel arch with panelled jambs, similar tower arch with corbelled pilasters rising above on tower wall, Four bay Perpendicular style arcade to north aisle. Chancel moulded ribs to ceiling wagon roof with bosses, compartment ceiling over sanctuary, similar roof in nave with compartment ceiling over rood area and wall plate, said to be reused C16 ceilings, C19 ceiled wagon roof in north aisle. Aumbry in chancel; moulded archway from north aisle to organ bay. Pulpit and parclose screen dated 1913, former said to contain parts of old rood screeen. Altar table with turned baluster legs and guilloche frieze said to have been placed in St Mary's Wedmore in 1635 and resited in 1914. Coloured slate memorial tablet to Christian Sealy died 1727, roundel supported by winged cherubs head with segmental pediment. Oil painting of the Virgin and Child with St John in north aisle. C19 pine pews. The living was originally a chapel and was declared a vicarage in 1865-6. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Olivey, North Curry: Ancient Manor and Hundred, 1901; Kelly's Directory, 1914).

Listing NGR: ST2853821018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270938
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Olivey, , North Curry Ancient Manor and Hundred, (1901)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08925/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].