CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176918
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 01:33:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Orchard Portman
National Grid Reference:
ST 26588 21110

Details

ORCHARD PORTMAN CP ST22SE THURLBEAR

5/95 Church of St Thomas

25.2.55

GV I

Parish church. C12, C14 chancel rebuilt, C15 tower built and church refenestrated, chancel refenestrated and north chapel demolished c1850, 1856 tower restored. 1861 church restored and refitted, north aisle arcade taken down and restored. Roughcast over rubble, squared and coursed blue lias tower, Ham stone dressings, nave, chancel and aisles all under same slate roof, coped verges. Plan: chancel, 4-bay nave, narrow north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttreses west end, setback buttresses east end, string courses, gargoyles, 2-light louvred bell openings, cinquefoil headed window below, Perpendicular mullioned and transomed 4-light west window, moulded pointed arch west doorway, C19 door, north east stair turret; south front 2-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening, plaster board with applied half-timbering to interior, moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door; south front of chancel lancets flanking blocked Tudor arch doorway, diagonal buttresses to east end, 3 lancet windows, lancets to north front flanking engaged semi-circular pillar, three 2-light windows to north aisle between stepped buttresses, blocked moulded pointed arch opening. Interior: rendered. Plastered barrel vault to nave, monopitch roofs to aisles, ribbed roof to chancel. Four bay arcade of C12 circular piers with scalloped capitals. C19 wooden chancel arch carried on angel corbels, squint in sout east wall, moulded semi-circular tower arch. Blocked ogee-head opening to rood stair at east end of north aisle, three quarters of blocked Tudor arch opening in north aisle. Norman circular font. C19 fittings, including Romanesque style arcaded panelling to choir stalls and screen to tower. Pulpit. No monuments of note. The engaged column on the exterior of the chancel belongs to a chapel or transept that was demolished in the mid C19. (Sixsmith, A History of Thurlbear, 1956; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2658821110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270881
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Sixsmith, , A History of Thurlbear, (1956)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07395/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eddy Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].