THE CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1172943
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE COACH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:48:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE COACH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
West Tytherley
National Grid Reference:
SU 27410 29741

Details

WEST TYTHERLEY THE COACH ROAD SU 22 NE 3/9 The Church of St. Peter

GV II

Parish church. 1833 nave, tower and porch by G Guthrie, chancel 1877 and possibly nave refenestrated. Earlier part header bond purple and blue brick, coursed knapped flint, stone dressings and slate roof; chancel grey limestone, Bath stone dressings, brick plinth, tile roof. Plan of nave with S porch, W tower and added chancel. Chancel Decorated style with 3-light cinquefoiled, with 2 quatrefoils and a trefoil in head, E window. Diagonal buttresses on corners. On sides 2 trefoiled lancets and central buttress. Nave has plinth and giant corner pilasters. Each side of centre square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window with label to N and S. To N in centre plank panel with label. To S porch with brick corner pilasters, cornice and crennelations. Walls of flint with pointed brick arches, blind on sides, open to S with iron gates. Inside reset slabs: 1688 to Anna Whithed, 1657 to Mary Whithed. To W tower with corner brick pilasters, those to E cut by nave on lower stages. Walls of flint with to W door in pointed brick arch, to S squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. In middle stage to W pointed 2-light cinquefoiled window. String to top stage and on all faces pointed bell opening. Stone cornice and brick crennelations. Inside chancel all late C19. 2 order Early English style chancel arch on foliated corbels. Timber screen. Nave has monuments to S: 1833 to Barth. Bouverie, 1815 to Charles Wall. On N wall, from old church, monuments: 1725 to Ann Smyth, 4 early C19 to Thistlethwayte family. At W end gallery of timber on cast iron columns, bowed forward in centre, with Royal coat of arms in centre. Under benefactors boards of 1725, and 1833 to commemorate rebuilding. To N in centre opposite door is Norman font from old church of square bowl on large central column with smaller corner shafts. Interior of 1833 has box pews towards E and open pews to W.

Listing NGR: SP2578727277

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
141015
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15255/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].