CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1172051
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172051.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 21:30:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Ampney Crucis
National Grid Reference:
SP 06501 01894

Details

SP OO SE AMPNEY CRUCIS AMPNEY CRUCIS VILLAGE

5/13 Church of the Holy Rood

26.11.58

GV I

Anglican parish church. Saxon foundation, with some Norman work and elements from all periods including C15 tower and re-roofing of nave, up to restoration of 1870. Mostly coursed limestone with some random walling with quoins, ashlar tower. Stone slate roof to chancel, porch and vestry, with coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. Remainder of roofs not visible. Basically cruciform plan with west tower, nave with south porch and transepts, chancel with north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with string courses and plinth, diagonal stepped buttresses and embattled parapet, and corner gargoyles on string course below parapet. Tall lowest stage with 2-light west window, 2-light arched belfry louvres to each face of top stage. Nave roof lowered in C15 and embattled parapet added with single-arch bellcote at east end. Originally with clerestorey, of which 2 small windows remain above south transept. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows to north and south in nave, with wall tablet to east of Early English south porch entrance. North wall has Saxon doorway obscured on outside and inside by heating installation, with flanking single light Norman windows with splayed inner reveals, partially blocked on east side. Three-light Perpendicular east window to chancel, cutting across a string course, and Decorated 2-light window, priest's door of C19, wall tablet and single light on south wall, 1870 vestry to north. Transepts of late C13 with windows of different periods on each wall. South porch has stone side seats and square niche to right, and original inner door. Interior: C15 nave roof of 7 bays, with 3 moulded transverse beams supported on slightly cambered braced cross beams, with struts to stone corbels. Transitional chancel arch with chevron moulding and carved capitals. Transepts have Early English arches and Jacobean pews. North transept has remains of C14 wall paintings around windows which have cusped rere-arches, Early English piscina and credence, large recumbent effigies of George Lloyd and wife (died 1584) on tomb chest with pedimented canopy on fluted columns. South transept has series of slate wall tablets in Latin of C17 to Pleydell family, recording date and hour of death. Marble monument to Robert Pleydell (died 1719) by Edward Stanton in chancel. Plain Norman cylindrical font, Perpendicular stone pulpit. (David Verey, The Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)



Listing NGR: SP0649301895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129635
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00379/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Hincks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].