CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169440.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:04:22.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Epping Forest (District Authority)
- Theydon Garnon
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 47183 99379
TQ 49 NE THEYDON GARNON CHURCH LANE
6/326 Church of All
Parish Church. C13, C15 and C16 with later additions and alterations. Flint
rubble with plastered East wall. Red brick c1520 West Tower, c1644 North Aisle
and North Porch. C19 North Vestry and Organ Chamber. Red plain tiled roofs
with ornate pierced ridged tiles. Chancel probably built C13. The Nave has
C13 remnant roofing and C15 details. C18 South porch, with red tiled gabled
roof on brick plinth with timber supports and C15 Doorway. Chancel East window
early C15, four cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery above in two-centre
head with moulded jambs and labels. A small cusped trefoil light above. Brick
buttresses to each corner and to North and South walls. N. wall with C17 window
of 2 pointed lights with moulding and label. C20 doorway to W of this window.
S wall, C13 lancet and one similar to that in N wall. Between these windows
is a C15 doorway with a 4 centred arch in a square head with quatrefoiled
spandrels. Roof of 7 cants, boarded and ribbed with bosses. Nave with 2 dormer
windows, has a timber arcade of 5 bays, with octagonal oak columns, semi-
octagonal responds, stop chamfered bases and moulded capitals circa 1644. The
arches are roughly 3 centred or semi-circular, with a moulded fascia above,
mitred in the centre to form a key block. South wall has 2 windows, C15 3
lights in segmental pointed head with moulded label and shield stops of the
arms of Garnon, "three piles wavy." 2 light C20 window. Between the windows is
a C15 doorway with moulded jamb and 2 centred-arch under a square moulded label
with traceried spandrels. The roof, C13 of eleven scissor braced couples at
the west end, c1300-1350 the eastern bays were renewed and the 5 crossquadrate
4 arm crown posts and collar purlins were fitted. Moulded wall plates, wall
recesses with arched braces, plain tie beams. (C.A. Hewett - CHURCH CARPENTRY
1974). The c1644 North Aisle of red brick with moulded plinth and a corbel
table under the eaves with small brackets. East gable with a sunk panel with
the date 1644 and west gable with similar panel inscribed I.H. under which is a
C20 lancet window with moulded label. In the N wall are 3, C20 3 light windows
under flat heads with moulded labels. Between the two western windows is a
c1644 doorway with C20 semi-circular head and a moulded arch frame, with fleur-
de-lis stops. North Porch c1644 of red brick and red tiled, restored C18. C20
windows to each wall. West Tower c1520 of red brick of 3 stages, crenellated
with angled buttresses. Tower arch with plain chamfered responds and a four
centred arch of 4 chamfered orders. C18 west doorway above which is a C17
stone, 3 light window with 2 pointed heads under a moulded segmental label.
There is a segmental reveal arch above. Bell chamber with brick 2 light
openings under 4 centre heads. North and South walls at second stage with 4-
centre headed windows. Stair tower is four angled at NE corner of Tower and
rises above the crenellations with moulded coping. Treads and newel of brick,
small light to each stage. On the South wall, externally is a stone panel
inscribed "SYR JOHN CROSBE KNYGHYT late alderman and grosar of LONDON and ....
of dame ANNE and ANNES his wyfis of whos godys was gevyn Lli (£50) toward the
makying of this stepyll ... ano dm 1520". Prayers for their souls have been
chiselled out and above are 2 shields of the Crosby arms a chevron ermine
between 3 rams and the Grocers Company. This inscription is now very worn. On
the SE buttress is a scratch dial and above it a larger Sundial. Fittings &
Monuments. Above S door 4 Bequest Boards recording ancient Charities. 6
Hatchments. Pulpit C18 with attached readers desk and finely detailed hexagonal
sounding board. Twisted balusters to stairs. Altar Tomb in North wall of
Chancel, at back of recess is a brass of a kneeling man, his wife, 2 sons and 3
daughters with indents of 2 inscription plates, 2 shields, a Trinity and another
group. In South Chancel wall is another similar Tomb with indents for brasses.
Memorial Tablet to Lady Anne Fitzwilliam 1602 directing the Almshouses to be
erected in this Parish for 4 poor widows and giving them 12 pence a week.
Memorial, Sir John Archer 1682, and another to William Eyre Archer 1739. Brass
to William Kynlneby, Rector of Theydon Garnon 1442-1458. Communion Rails C1683-
4 set up at a cost of £4. C16 Wooden Altar Table and C17 carved chairs. Oak
Chest crossed with nailed iron bands and with claw feet c1668. C19 Tub Font
on a stem. Oak Door adapted as a bookcase, near the Tower Arch, from the
medieval priests house which stood in the Churchyard, west of the Tower until
1924. Above this is a stone memorial to Denton Nicholas M.D. 1714.
Listing NGR: TQ4718399379
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing