Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:00:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 51844 48501


sx 54 NW WEMBURY WEMBURY 8/191 29/3/60 Church of St Werburgh


Parish church. C14 Tower, rest of church rebuilt in C15 to early C16. Restored 1886. Slate rubble with granite dressings and slate roof. Nave and narrow north aisle under one roof. Nave and chancel in one, with large five-light Perpendicular east window. South aisle east window of three-lights with panel and intersecting tracery. South side of south aisle pebble-dash and has C15 three-light straight-headed windows with four-centred arch lights. North aisle has two-light windows one with ogee-headed lights. Moulded two-centred arch north and south doorways. South porch with roll moulding to four-centred arch doorway. North transept gable rebuilt in late C19. Fine west tower in two stages with diagonal buttresses with set-offs, moulded string and embattled parapet without pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret on north side of tower with battlements. Two-light bell-openings. Three-light Perpendicular west window and four-centred arch west doorway with carved spandrels, in deep moulded recess with hood mould. The tower is roughcast on the south side. Interior: South aisle in almost length of nave and chancel and has five-bay arcade, the east bay is smaller. North aisle has four-bay arcade. Moulded four-centred arcade arches with monolithic granite piers with four shafts and hollows between, and with moulded capitals and bases. Double-chamfered tower arch with shafts to responds with moulded capitals. Doorway to rood stairs on south wall of south aisle with ogee head. Circa late C15 carved wagon roof over south aisle with bosses and remains of colour. Circa 1500 carved unceiled wagon roof to south porch and nail-studded south door. Good C19 carved unceiled wagon roof over nave and C19 boarded wagon roof over chancel. Good C19 carved furnishings including screen to south chapel, choir stalls, bench ends, pulpit, lectern and reredos. Royal Arms of 1812 on canvas in bowed frame. Very large monument in chancel to Sir John Hele 1608 and family, with reclining and recumbent effigies and seated figure and kneeling figures of children. Another large monmument to Dame Elizabeth Narborough 1678 in black and white marble with sarcophagus supported on lions, surmounted by kneeling figure of Lady Elizabeth all within wrought iron railings. Good wall monument of Elizabeth Calmady 1694. Wall momnument to Dorothy Rider 1710 date mutilated, oval tablet over a winged scull. Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1909, Vol 41 page 267.

Listing NGR: SX5184548501


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 41, (1909), 267


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/13057/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mel Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].