CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168409.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 00:32:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 01329 15504
ST 01 NW
4/184 Church of St.Peter
Parish church. The tower may have C14 origins but the rest of the church is late
C15 - early C16. It was thoroughly renovated in 1864. The tower, nave and chancel
are of coursed blocks of red sandstone conglomerate, aisle and porch of grey-
coloured chert rubble; some evidence of original purple-coloured volcanic detail but
most detail replaced with Salcombe and Beerstone ashlar; red tile roof including
bands of scallop-shaped tiles.
Plan: nave with lower chancel, south aisle and south porch, west tower. C19 leanto
to vestry on north side of chancel and this includes a chimneystack.
Exterior: plain unbuttressed tower with embattled parapet and stair turret
projecting square from north-east corner. Belfry has twin trefoil-headed lancets.
On the west side a 2-centred arch Beerstone doorway with moulded surround and above
it a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. All the windows
around the church have Perpendicular tracery and most have plain hoodmoulds. The
gable ends of nave, chancel aisle and porch have shaped kneelers, coping and apex
crosses. The aisle has set back buttresses. The 4-bay south side is interrupted by
the gabled porch left of centre. It has a 2-centred outer arch with moulded
surround and hoodmould with label stops carved as human heads. It has a C19 roof.
The south door is a Beerstone Tudor arch with moulded surround. Above it is a
volcanic ashlar image bracket.
Interior: the nave, chancel and aisle have C19 open roofs of arch-braced trusses.
Plain tall round-headed tower arch. 4-bay Beerstone aracade. The piers are moulded
(Pevsner's type B) and the capitals are carved with foliage including several
heraldic devices. The eastern arch (overlapping the chancel) is thicker and the
pier is pierced by a trefoil-headed lancet. This pier also forms the respond of the
chancel arch which is contemporary and identical to the arcade arches. The arcade
eastern respond contains an image bracket. Large C19 Beerstone Tudor arch from
chancel to vestry. Flag floor to nave and aisle and C19 tile floor to chancel.
Furniture and fittings are mostly C19 including the altar table, oak communion rail
on wrougnt iron standards, Gothic style oak stalls and prayer desk, Beerstone drum
pulpit enriched with marble and including a blind arcade featuring painted
Evangelists, oak eagle lectern, cast iron rood beam, and pine box pews.
The Perpendicular style oak tower screen is dated 1911. C15 Beerstone font with
octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels containing fourleaf motifs and under the bowl
are carved flowers. The only memorial is that in memory of the Reverend Simon
Pidsley (d.1821) in the north aisle and a First World War memorial in the nave.
Some C19 stained glass.
The church forms part of a group with nearby Uplowman Court Farmhouse (q.v) and its
Listing NGR: ST0132915504
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/46109
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing