CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1167714
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167714.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 11:25:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Somborne
National Grid Reference:
SU 38216 32655

Details

LITTLE SOMBORNE LITTLE SOMBORNE SU 33 SE 5/12 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

29/5/57 II*

Redundant church. Saxon C11 nave with C12 features, C12 chancel long demolished. W bellcote. Rendered rubble flint with stone dressings, colourwashed, old plain tile roof and weatherboarded bellcote. E end probably altered C17 when chancel demolished, wall built under chancel arch with 3-light ovolo mullioned window. Above arch 2 restored late C12 painted lancets, probably reset from chancel. To N wall at E remains of pilaster strip with wooden lintel indicating remains of door. E of centre is late C12 squareheaded light with rebate. W of centre similar squareheaded doorway with chamfer and C17 door. High set to W behind glazed sheet is roundheaded Saxon window minus some dressings. Beside is complete pilaster strip. On S to E large C13 pointed lancet with chamfer and rebate for timber frame. To E of centre, opposite other, is squareheaded late C12 light. To W of centre is late C12 roundheaded door of chamfered order with label and imposts. To W C19 large rectangular window, high set. Near W corner remains of strip pilaster. W end has C14 pointed 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil over. Above square-plan bellcote with hipped roof containing bell date 1604. Inside walls stripped of plaster and floor removed, partly replaced by flagstones. E wall has C12 pointed chancel arch, probably of 2 orders, inner has shafts with small scalloped capitals, and abaci hacked off. On S side of arch small roundheaded niche or possible reset C12 window. Above wide splays to lancets. Widely splayed roundheaded arches to E of centre windows. SE C13 lancet has wide splay. Cambered heads to rear archer of doors. C19 SW window has beside blocked Saxon window matching that to N. Pointed splayed rear arch of W window. Cl7 queen strut roof with curved struts and paired windbraces. Built into this frame for bellstage and bellcote, posts C20. C19 font. VCE; Vol4; p 482. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p322.

Listing NGR: SP3428632629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140833
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 482
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 322

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12993/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].