CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166968
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166968.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:20:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Soberton
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 60959 16797, SU 60963 16785

Details

SU 61 NW SOBERTON 7/45 Church of St Peter 6.3.67 I Parish church. Of Norman origin, but mainly C13 of several phases, some C15 details, early C16 west tower, Victorian south porch, restoration of 1880. Flint walls, plastered in several parts, with stone dressings, and rubble stonework in the chancel, tower of flint with irregular pattern of large stone blocks, brick gable to the south transept. Tile roof, extended on the north side aisle and vestry, separate roofs to the south aisle and transept, dormers to the nave. Nave of three bays with north aisle and south aisle, both extended to the west, chancel with north aisle (vestry), south transept (Curle Chapel). The earliest structure survives within the square piers at the west of the nave, the arcade is mid C13 with octagonal columns, the chancel arch is c1300, the transept 1270 and the chancel walls cl330. A former small west tower was replaced 1525 by a wider structure which is still narrower than the nave, the west end of which is marked by three arches on two octagonal columns. The old windows are coupled lancets with ogee heads in the chancel and lancets in the east wall of the south transept, and a Perpendicular window on the south side of the nave. Inside, the transept or Curle Chapel has a recess between the deep splays of the lancets, with a traceried arch on slender shafts, a sunk recess with a stone table supported by heads on a column: a piscina is set diagonally in the south east corner: there is a C15 tomb let into the south wall. There is a large wall monument (1736) at the east end of the north aisle (with a bust set within an ornate classical framework), several baroque wall monuments (of 1678, 1688, 1698) and others of later date and lesser scale. Outside the south transept, there is a crude stone sarcophagus, probably of Roman origin, unearthed in the locality.

Listing NGR: SU6108216840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146541
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Dec 2003
Reference: IOE01/11729/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].