CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1165400
Date first listed:
28-Jan-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165400.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:24:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
The Stukeleys
National Grid Reference:
TL 21697 74567

Details

TL 27 SW THE STUKELEYS CHURCH ROAD Great Stukeley

8/140 Church of St. Bartholomew 28.1.58 (Formrly listed as Church of St.Bartholomew, Great stukeley)

GV II*

Parish church of C13 nave, north and south aisles and chancel with C15 west tower. The church replaces a C12 church on the site. The church was restored in 1909-10. C15 west tower of Barnack with some rubblestone. Of five stages on splayed plinth with clasping buttresses. Parapetted with cut down pinnacles at corners. West doorway in two centred arch of two moulded orders. West window of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two-centred head. Square head to a single trefoil light to each wall of third stage. Bell stage, openings carried down below string of third stage. Two cinquefoil openings in two-centred head. Sundial incised in south-west buttress. Nave of pebble and rubblestone, C13 with C19 plain tiled roof. C15 clerestorey of three windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in square head. South aisle, C13 of pebbles and rubblestone, but with C14 fenestration. Three windows, each of three lights with decorated tracery in shallow pointed arches with moulded labels and return stops. South porch, C15 but altered in C17 or C18. Outer arch remade, round headed arch of two chamfered orders. Inner arch four-centred and of wave and hollow moulded orders. In one wall of porch there is a reset stone carved with Lombardic lettering, probably C14. Chancel. Late C13 of pebble and rubblestone with tiled roof. One C14 window of two trefoil lights in square head and one C15 window (restored) with low side. East end partly rebuilt in C19 with four centred arch to three-light window with intersecting tracery, restored. In north wall one C13 window of two trefoil lights and a C13 doorway with a single chamfered order. Interior. Part of ribbed vaulting to ground stage of west tower remains. Vaulting springs from finely carved beast and grotesque corbels. Tower arch two-centred of two wave moulded orders with responds having attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Nave arcade of four bays with west bay of north arcade partly blocked when tower built. Two centred arches on round columns with bell capitals, and hold-water bases. The capitals to the south arcade are round, except for one with carving. C15 chancel arch two-centred and of two chamfered orders with inner carried on half-octagonal attached shafts with octagonal capitals and bases. Chancel with C17 roof of four bays and Queen strut trusses. Wide splays to window openings. C14 piscina in south wall. Trefoil head in two centred arch with projecting drain. Some reused moulded stone in south wall. C13 font. Octagonal with roll moulded lower edge on circular stem with eight detached, subsidiary shafts, some restored, with hold-water bases. RCHM (Hunts) mon.(2), p263. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p257.

Listing NGR: TL2169774567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54611
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 263
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/99002/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].