CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1164964
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:31:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Leck
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 64312 76594

Details

LECK SD 67 NW

2/136 Church of St.Peter

II

Church, 1878-9 by Paley & Austin, rebuilt by Austin & Paley in 1915 after a fire. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a west tower with spire, a nave with north aisle and south porch, a lower chancel, and a vestry. The tower is of 2 stages with battered walls, a plinth, 2 string courses, and an octagonal slated spire set back behind a solid parapet. The bell openings are each of one cinquefoiled light. The west window is of 3 lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The south nave wall is of 2 bays and has windows of 4 elliptically-headed lights under a flat head. To the right a buttress separates the nave from the chancel, which has windows of 3 and one trefoiled lights. The south porch is of timber and has a doorhead carved with a depressed ogee. The inner stone doorway is moulded and his a pointed arch. The east window has a segmental head with hood and is of 8 trefoiled lights. Interior has 5-bay arcade with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and round piers with moulded caps. A further arch on the north side of the chancel opens into an organ chamber. The tower arch and chancel arch are both pointed. The open timber roof has trusses with arch-braced king posts rising from collars and common rafters with collars and straight braces. The font is octagonal, of sandstone with carved decoration.

Listing NGR: SD6431276594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182432
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13687/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].