THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1163855
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163855.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:06:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Brampford Speke
National Grid Reference:
SX 92744 98237

Details

BRAMPFORD SPEKE SX 99 NW 3/20 The Parish Church of St Peter 30.6.61 - I Parish church. C15 west tower, the remainder, 1852-3 by Butcher, consisting of nave, north aisle, south porch, south transept, north-east organ chamber and vestry. Ashlar. Impressive west tower, slender proportions, 2 stages. Diagonal buttresses with 3 offsets plus C17 corner obelisks serving as pinnacles. North- west half-octagonal stair turret. Heavy base moulding which forms the hood mould of west door. Doorway with concave moulded jambs. 4-light Perpendicular west window. 2-light square-headed belfry openings, with shallow-chamfered lights. Small north window, hood formed by string course. The 1852 church is a fine, balanced composition. Exterior: all windows decorated. South-front: wide transept with 3-light south window above a lean-to lit by small punched sextafoil (marking an internal recess). 1 flush 2-light window to nave, 2 to chancel with hood-moulds. 3-light east window with large sextafoil in head. Strong double set- off buttresses; vestry east front with bold asymmetrical fenestration. North side with flush 2-light windows. Interior: mediaeval work: tower arch responds with wave moulding. C16 tower ceiling. Cusped, original tomb recess in south transept, with 4 heads facing downwards, of good quality. The font, possibly C15, recut, octagonal with traceried panels, wanting its plinth. 1852 rebuild: 3-bay north arcade, Decorated octagonal piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch with moulded capitals. Good roofs : arch-brace and collars to chancel and nave, scissor-braces to south transept. Minton tiling in chancel. Contemporary wooden commandment board: now in tower. Large, assertive, wooden pulpit. Monuments: of historical interest (see below) wall monument to Rev. G C Gorham, d. 1865, by Hale of London (south transept, east wall); mural monument to J Sheppard, 1865 by Stephens of Exeter (south transept, west wall). Glass: good heraldic glass in south transept, south window and north aisle. West and 2 north window, dated 1852. Historic interest: in 1847 the Bishop of Exeter, suspecting the Rev. G C Gorham's orthodoxy on baptismal regeneration, refused to institute him to Brampford Speke. Gorham appealed to the Privy Council and won. The Gorham Judgement forced many (including Wilberforce and Manning) to secede to Rome. Source: Devon C19 Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9274698237

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
86080
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/13655/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cornwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].