CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1163277
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE, ELLIOTT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:05:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE, ELLIOTT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 68838 01967

Details

TYLDESLEY ELLIOTT STREET SD 60 SE (south side) 2/47 Church of 18/7/66 St. George G.V. II Church. 1821-4. By Sir Robert Smirke for the Church Commissioners. Chancel extended in 1887. Dressed stone. Nave with clerestory and aisles; west tower, chancel and vestry. Gothick. 7-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, coped parapet and weathered buttresses which are set diagonally at the corners and have crocketed pinnacles. Each bay has a 2- light aisle window with plain tracery and a clerestory window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Porch in westernmost bay. The chancel, which forms a continuation of the nave, has a 2-light window,and a 3-light east window all with Geometrical tracery. 3-stage tower with weathered diagonal buttresses, west door, second stage lancet window, and 3 lancet belfry openings. An octagonal spire is set behind a parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles from which spring flying buttresses. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade arches on octagonal columns. Cambered roof structure with timber ceiling. West gallery. Timber fittings include screens, pews, stalls, pulpit etc. James Mort wall memorial, 1855, by Garner of Manchester.

Listing NGR: SD6883801967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213516
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05832/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].