CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161226
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161226.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:10:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Fenland (District Authority)
Parish:
Wisbech St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TF 41971 08142

Details

TF 40 NW WISBECH ST. MARY CHURCH ROAD 10/81 23.6.52 Church of St. Mary

II*

Parish church mainly C14 but with C15 chancel and other alterations. Restored in C19. West tower, C14 and of rubblestone with Barnack ashlar to west wall and to quoins. Of four stages on a splayed plinth with angle buttressing also of four stages and a later embattled parapet of brick. The gable end of the original nave roof is visible in the east wall. C14 west doorway with hollow and roll moulding to a two- centred arch. West window of three trefoil lights with vertical tracery in two-centred arch. Bell stage has two trefoil openings with quatrefoil to head in two centred arch. Nave of rubblestone, rendered with low pitch roof of slate and bell-cote to east gable end. C15 clerestory of five windows, eahc of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. South aisle, repaired C18, has four C15 windows of three cinquefoil lights in square heads. South porch, restored. Stone, rendered with two stage diagonal buttressing and parapetted gable roof of slate. outer archway two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner carried on attached shafts with moulded capitals. Inner archway has two centred arch of two continuous chamfered orders. C14 holy water stoup. Chancel. Rubblestone with dressed stone to window and door openings. Steeply pitched roof of slate. East window, C15 of five cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred arch. North wall restored, C19. Interior. Tower arch, C15, two-centred and of two wave moulded orders with inner on responds of half-octagonal columns with embattled capitals. North and south arcades of five bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with octagonal capitals and bases with square plinths. Chancel arch similar to nave arcades with a window above of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. Glazing in east window is World War I war memorial. One tomb slab in nave to Thomas Williamson, 1836 and another to Jane, his wife of 1837, of the Manor House, Station Road, Wisbech St. Mary. The church has furniture, statuary fragments of carving and glazing chiefly continental and C17 and C18. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.234.

Listing NGR: TF4197108142

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
48174
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 234
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3541

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13136/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].