CHURCH OF ST PHILLACK (ST FELICITAS)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160143
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILLACK (ST FELICITAS), LETHLEAN LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160143.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:58:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILLACK (ST FELICITAS), LETHLEAN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hayle
National Grid Reference:
SW 56535 38421

Details

HAYLE LETHLEAN LANE, Phillack SW 5638-5738 9/116 Church of St Phillack(St Felicitas) -

GV II* Parish church. C12 font bowl, C15 tower, otherwise rebuilt circa 1856-1857. Granite ashlar tower otherwise granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Dry scantle slate roofs with granite coped gable ends ; pyramidal slate roof to tower and octagonal stone chimney over south gable of vestry and a similar chimney slightly to the west. Plan: Originally probably a cruciform plan with north and south transepts ; in the C15 extended with north aisle and west tower and in circa 1886 all except the west tower was demolished and rebuilt in Early English style to its present plan comprising C15 west tower, nave/chancel, north aisle and vestry at north east corner, south transept, south aisle and south porch. Exterior: Virtually complete C15 3-stage embattled west tower with set-back corner buttresses to the lower stages and strings dividing the stages including a tall plinth. Original steep 4-centred arched doorway possibly reset in the C19 ; original 3-light traceried window over the original 3-light traceried windows with slate louvred lights to the upper stage ; 2 original crocketted corner pinnacles and 2 pinnacles replaced in the C19 (the original ones are in the churchyard south of the tower). The C19 parts of the church are unaltered and have the original doors and windows with cusped lancets. The east window of the south aisle has intersecting Y- traceried lights. In the angle between the tower and the south porch is a medieval tomb lid with cabled ornament (possibly pre-conquest) ; in the porch gable is a reset chi-rho stone possibly C5 and in the north gable of the vestry is a C12 carved head. Interior: Norman fragment incorporated into the north wall ; C15 4-centred tower arch with moulded responds ; C19 transept from the nave and chancel ; earthenware roof floor tiles and arch-braced roofs. C15 carved fragments in porch. Fittings: C19 retooled Norman font bowl on C19 replica base ; resited Norman alter slab with incised crosses ; C12 or C13 tomb lid set into the east wall of the vestry, otherwise C19 fittings. In the pulpit and organ frame are incorporated some C15 carved oak fragments from the former roof. Sources: Phillack Church by Charles Thomas, M.A., F.S.A.

Listing NGR: SW5653538421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
70219
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thomas, C, Phillack Church

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15320/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivor Corkell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].