Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:00:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 59497 37370



GV I Parish church. Base of Norman font and some Norman carved heads reused; chancel probably C13; otherwise C15 except for north aisle which is C16, built by the Arundell family. Most windows and the roof structure renewed in the C19. Granite ashlar tower and part of north wall, otherwise granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Plan: C13 chancel, otherwise C15 or C16. Nave/chancel ; west tower, north aisle and porch ; later parallel north aisle or chapel and south aisle. Exterior: virtually complete C15 3-stage embattled west tower with set-back buttresses, pinnacles at the corners and external stair turret north of the north- west corner ; 2 centred west doorway with 3-light window over ; 2-light louvres to the middle stage and 3-light windows with slate louvres to the upper stage. C15 north and south doorways with Tudor roses to the spandrels of the 4-centred arches. C15 or early C16 north porch doorway has moulded jambs and imposts surmounted by a steep 4-centred arch. Beside this is a C16 doorway with outer and inner arch to the Arundell chapel. Chancel east window is circa late C13 with intersecting tracery C15 or early C16 windows and blocked priest's doorway to south aisle ; remodelled C15 window to south wall of nave ; otherwise the windows are C19, mostly in the Perpendicular style. Interior: pointed tower arch ; 6-bay arcade between nave/chancel and north aisle with C15 standard A (Pevsner) piers for the 2 western bays and presumably C16 octagonal piers for the other 4 bays, all with carved capitals ; C15 4-bay arcade, between nave/chancel and south aisle, with standard A (Pevsner) piers and moulded capitals. C16 3-bay arcade with octagonal piers between north aisle and far north aisle (The Arundell Chapel). Plastered walls and C19 waggon roofs except for C15 waggon roof over chancel. Fittings: ancient granite cross fragment with carved crucifixion. Norman font base with chevron carving, surmounted by fat green elvan round shaft and octagonal granite bowl dated 1772 ; base of C15 rood screen with carved ogee-headed paired panels between heavily carved muntins; cast-iron fire back dated 1588 with initials IFC ; octagonal C19 pulpit incorporating 5 C16 carved ogee arch-headed panels ; painted letter from Charles I ; otherwise C19 fittings. Monuments: marble wall monument to Elizabeth Arundell, wife of John Arundell of- Sithney and daughter of Thomas Lanyon of Gwinear, died 1683 aged 36.

Listing NGR: SW5950237370


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05853/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].