Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140786.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:10:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
South Hill
National Grid Reference:
SX 32958 72626


SOUTH HILL SOUTH HILL SX 37 SW 2/249 Church of St Sampson 21.8.64 GV I

Parish church and mother church of Callington. Dedicated in 1333. Nave, chancel, north transept and first 2 stages of tower circa 1330s. 4-bay south aisle and upper stage of tower circa C15. South porch circa late C15. Restored in 1871. Stone rubble with moulded plinth to nave, chancel, north transept and west tower. Corner buttresses to tower and north transept. Buttresses to chancel and nave. South porch of large blocks of granite ashlar. Granite ashlar to upper stage of tower. Slate roof with slightly higher ridge to chancel. Nave roof altered with evidence of higher roof marked on east side of tower. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses to first stage. Moulded plinth and strings. Battlemented parapet with pinnacles. West door, moulded 2 centred arch with triple cavetto mould with fillets between. Circa C17 door, vertically planked and studded with strap hinges. West window, restored. 2-lights with renewed cusped heads with quatrefoil above. Above, 2 single light openings with cusped heads. Slate fenestration with ventilation holes in shape of cross. 2-light belfry openings, Perpendicular tracery, west light slightly off centre. Slate panels. Frieze below parapet with band of Apostles in relief. Possibly angels on corners. Weather vane on south east pinnacle. Corrugated asbestos lean-to on north side of tower. Nave; north side, to west of transept, two 2-centred openings with C19 Decorated tracery. 2-lights with cusped heads with trefoils above and quatrefoil in centre. Hoodmoulds. To east, 2-light window with restored C19 geometric tracery beneath 2-centred arch which projects into west wall of north transept. North window of north transept in slightly blocked opening with pointed relieving arch. Circa C15 Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch with roll mould. Hoodmould. Opening on east of north transept blocked. Chancel; straight joint on north wall to east of north transept above plinth. Two 2-centred arched openings with restored simple tracery. Hoodmoulds. East window of 3-lights. Restored Decorated tracery of freestone with cusped heads and soufflets. 4 petal star above. South window of chancel, restored, 2-light Decorated window. East window of south aisle, Perpendicular 4-light window beneath 4-centred arch. South aisle with three 3-light Perpendicular circa C15 windows with granite tracery beneath 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Similar 3-light window to west of porch. South porch with 3-centred granite arch with moulded jambs comprising double roll mould. Moulded hood and labels. Sundial above, 184-. South door, 2-centred moulded arch. Roof; nave and north transept unstained king post trusses with arch braces. Chancel with original waggon roof with central moulded longitudinal rib and 3 painted shields South aisle, original stained waggon roof with moulded ribs and recently painted shields and carved bosses. 4 bay south aisle with tall moulded type A (Pevsner) piers. Moulded bases and caps with 4-centred moulded arches. Engaged pier on west far cruder with tall moulded base. Tower arch, 4-centred arch with mouldings to arch dying out to jambs (cf St Ive Parish Church). Squint between north transept (Manaton Chapel) and chancel. C19 furnishing. Norman font inscribed with Chi Rho sign. Round bowl decorative with tree of life and 2 long animals in profile. 4 figure heads at corners. Round shaft with 4 columns continuing from figure heads. Later base. Piscina at east end of north transept with cusped head. Badly eroded. Decorated circa 1330s piscina in south east corner of chancel. Ogee cusped arch. South window of chancel projects into earlier simple sedilia. 2 Decorated tomb recesses on north side of chancel. Circa 1330s. Ogeed arches with cusping and bulbous finials. Western recess pierced by squint from north transept. Table at west end of church, carved, circa C17. Monuments; Manaton chapel in north transept. Monument to John Manaton and wife 1507. In east wall Monument to Michael Hill, son of Michael Hill of Trenethick and Frances, daughter of Samuel Manaton of Manaton. 1663. Figure in aedicular frame with moulded cornice and marble columns. Figure in relief, half kneeling at library table, his head resting on his hand, and his elbow on a skull. Remains of ancient colour. Inscription below. North wall of nave, classical monument to Grace Parson, died 1778. Stencilled text around east window. Stencilled pattens on organ. 2 reset headstones on east wall of porch. To Sampson Lucas, died 1730 and to Joseph Lucas, died 1729. Latter engraved and signed by William Lucas. Bells; 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5, 1698 cast by J. Pennington. (Not inspected) N. Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980 H B Walters Church of England. Schedule of Bells for Preservation 1978 J. Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SX3295972624


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Church of England Schedule of Bells for Preservation, (1978)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05396/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].