Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 19:00:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Great Budworth
National Grid Reference:
SJ 66485 77523


SJ 67 NE, 6/74


Church of St Mary and All Saints



Church C14-1527, Thomas Hunter mason of the C16 parts; windows repaired 1848-63; refurnishing by A Salvin, W Butterfield and J Douglas later C19. Red sandstone with low-pitched roofs, probably leaded, not visible. West tower, aisled nave with south porch; transept chapels north and south; chancel with south and north chapels, the last now organ chamber and vestry.

Three-stage tower 1500-1520 (c.f. St Helen, Northwich) has diagonal buttresses, octagonal south-west turret, replaced oak west door in ornamented archway surmounted by band with carved coats-of-arms, decayed carved panel to each side of door, Tudor-arched west window; band; small arched bell-ringers' window on north, west and south face, eroded bas-relief panel on north and south face and clock on west face; band; paired 2-light bell-openings with transoms and stone louvres; crenellation with eight crocketed pinnacles. Nave has 4-light panel-traceried west and south windows to aisles, 3-light north aisle windows with intersecting tracery; south clerestorey windows with Tudor arches and four lights with alternating basket-arched and trefoil heads and 4-light north clerestory windows with rudimentary panel tracery; plain crenellated porch with door of broad oak boards and square 2-light aisle window above; restored north door. South transept chapel has ornate 4-light south window with panel tracery, altered 3-light west window with intersecting tracery and restored lancet to east. South chancel chapel has priest's door and 3-light south and east windows with panel tracery. 5-light east window to chancel has transitional curvilinear/panel tracery. North chancel chapel has panel-traceried east window of three lights, a blocked opening And a 3-light north window with transitional curvilinear/panel tracery. North transept Lady Chapel, C14, has gabled buttresses, two 2-light east windows, a 3-light north window with panel tracery, priest's door and a restored 3-light reticulated window under a depressed arch. All elements are crenellated; diagonal corner buttresses; many and varied gargoyles.

INTERIOR: Tower arch simply recessed in three orders. Nave arcades of six bays; that to north has three square piers with half-round responds, east, and two with concave corners between responds and arches with big convex mouldings; that to south, later, has concave corners and triple shafts on each face and lighter arch mouldings; carved heads and other motifs on capitals of north arcade; panelled oak camber-beam roof without bosses; shafts and two bands articulate the clerestorey. Restored camber-beam roof to south aisle; rebuilt roof with no features of interest to north aisle; chancel arch has continuing mouldings and no capitals; rood-loft arch north; line of former roof above arch. Lady Chapel (north transept), with stone screen by Salvin, has oak roof with unbraced crown posts and massive tie-beams on brackets. Warburton Chapel (south transept) has panelled camber-beam roof of oak with ornate principal beams and ovolo secondary beams. Chancel arcades of two bays; wagon roof. South chancel chapel has restored or replaced oak camber-beam panelled roof; organ chamber and vestry has replaced roof with no features of interest. C15 octagonal font; benefactions board, 1703, at west corner of south aisle; Glass of E window, south chancel chapel east window and vestry east window by Kempe; Lady Chapel glass 1965 by Fourmaintreaux/the Whitefriars Glass Studio; benches in south chapel probably C13; medieval stone altar in south chapel; damaged effigy of Sir John Warburton, died 1575; monument to Sir Peter Warburton died 1813; iron screen to south chancel chapel 1857; organ 1839, repositioned 1857; pulpit 1857; lectern 1888; choir prayer desks by John Douglas circa 1883, admired by T Raffles Davison.

A most satisfying largely Perpendicular chuch with a few Decorated features and C19 restoration showing the influence of Rowland Egerton Warburton, an early patron of the Vernacular Revival.

Listing NGR: SJ6648177518


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
'The British Architect' in The British Architect: 12 December, (1884)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14628/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].