This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1138002

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Pulloxhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38078

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PULLOXHILL

TL 0633 CHURCH ROAD

19/91 Church of St James 23.1.61

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel substantially medieval, elsewhere rebuilt 1845-6 by J. T.Wing. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs with stone coping to gables. Chancel, nave, W tower/porch. Chancel: C14 pointed- arched 3-light E window. C15 pointed-arched 2-light window to N elevation. S elevation has 2 Cl5 3-light 4-centred-arched windows, W one truncated by E wall of nave, thereby appearing as single-light internally. Small S doorway. Nave: 3 2-light pointed-arched windows to both N and S, in C14 style, with variety of tracery. S elevation has small square-headed window to W end, lighting vestry. W tower/porch: 3 stages, with embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses. 2-light pointed-arched windows to bell-stage. W elevation has pointed archway surmounted by rose window. N elevation has square headed single-light to middle stage. Interior: monuments in chancel. Brass to George Fitz d.1608 and wife Anne. Marble wall monument to Sir William Briers d.1653 and his 2 wives Anne and Arabella, erected by latter, with bust of Sir William in oval recess within ornate pedimented surround. Brass to Dame Anne Briers d.1631. Floorslab to Dame Arabella Briers d.1662. Chancel retains C15 3-bay crown-post roof. Wing's nave has decorative 5-bay queen post roof with curved braces, wood gallery at W end and square font.

Listing NGR: TL0616233800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 06162 33800

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:24:34.

End of official listing