This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1137682

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Great Barford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 15SW GREAT BARFORD HIGH STREET

8/41 Parish Church of All Saints 13.7.64 GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C19, retaining some C15 work. W tower, nave, N and S aisles, chancel, N vestry. C15 W tower. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. 5 stages, divided by string courses. Diagonal buttresses ending in crocketed pinnacles. Embattled parapet, small lead covered octagonal spire. Pointed arched W door in rectangular surround. This and window above have moulded dripstones with carved flowers to stops. C19 belfry windows. Rest of church built C19 in C14 style, replacing original nave and chancel. Brown cobbles, ashlar dressings. Nave has 4-bay arcades and clerestory with small quatrefoils. N aisle 1848, S aisle 1860 (Pevsner p94). Square-headed windows to aisles and vestry, pointed arched S doorway, projecting slightly externally. Pointed arched windows and S door to chancel. Dripstones to all openings. All parapets embattled except recently repaired N aisle and nave N wall. Interior: (13 font, square with chamfered angles on angle shafts. Chancel has black marble and alabaster figured monument to Thomas Ansell, 1591, 2 of figures with crudely repaired heads. 1535 brass to John Fitz Jeffrey and wife, also in chancel.

Listing NGR: TL1339851706

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 94

National Grid Reference: TL 13398 51706

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137682 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 01:58:10.

End of official listing